mollies in fresh or brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had mollies breed in my freshwater setup. I bought them when I first started out in fish-keeping. I was up to my third generation of mollies but only 2 fry survived the batch and one had a birth defect that prevented it from living out its full life.

I don't know or think that my experience adds anything to the debate. It seems like the debate has been diluted to this point and people are just arguing now for arguments' sake.

But anyway, that's my experience with them. They were a very personable fish and would "peck" at my arms and hands when they were in the tank for cleaning purposes. They would even swim up and down the siphon tube during PWC's.

I'm just going to throw in my final thoughts on this subject before I unsubscribe to this thread...

This wasn't brought up in my posts, but I am well aware that freshwater salt does not turn the environment into a brackish one. I figured I would throw that out there in case anyone was wondering if I knew that or not. ;) But seeing as how I have a community tank, adding Marine salt isn't a good idea, now is it?

I did what I needed to do to save my Mollies by adding a small amount of freshwater salt on a regular basis. I did stop for a month or so not too long ago btw, and it was a scary ordeal, which is why I went back to using it.

However, since I just recently added live plants, I started adding only 1 tablespoon of freshwater salt, instead of two, (this was started 2 pwc ago). My Mollies aren't lethargic, but I can definitely see a dramatic change in their activity level. I will eventually get to the point where I no longer add salt, but I want my fish to adjust slowly to avoid shock.

As far as this thread, believe it or not, I think it's a good resource for people just starting out w/ Mollies. However...

- The facetious remarks, (although slightly entertaining lol), were not needed. It would be a shame to see a newbie post pics of their fruit salad tank. lol Just sayin'.

- Those that expressed "facts" really needed to make a notation in their posts as to where they found their information.

- I also observed someone post "facts" on this thread that contradicted what they had posted in another thread pertaining to this exact same subject.

I may be fairly new to this site, but shouldn't we be providing accurate information to those that seek our help?

That is all. :D

/unsubscribe

our mollies started in fresh water and did not do well, they were are first fish...many tanks, african cichlids,and a puffer fish later, we decided to try making the mollie tank brackish...they had a remarkable turnaround and are now healthier, breeding like crazy(afraid now of what to do, if it keeps up)and are so lively and having large numbers of fry and survival rate seems 100%. I am told our salinity ranges around 1.006-1.010. i watch my boyfriend clean the tank and they swim up to him eagerly, like they are kissing his fingers wanting more food. They are so cute and are fun to feed.

I'm just going to throw in my final thoughts on this subject before I unsubscribe to this thread...

This wasn't brought up in my posts, but I am well aware that freshwater salt does not turn the environment into a brackish one. I figured I would throw that out there in case anyone was wondering if I knew that or not. ;) But seeing as how I have a community tank, adding Marine salt isn't a good idea, now is it?

I did what I needed to do to save my Mollies by adding a small amount of freshwater salt on a regular basis. I did stop for a month or so not too long ago btw, and it was a scary ordeal, which is why I went back to using it.

However, since I just recently added live plants, I started adding only 1 tablespoon of freshwater salt, instead of two, (this was started 2 pwc ago). My Mollies aren't lethargic, but I can definitely see a dramatic change in their activity level. I will eventually get to the point where I no longer add salt, but I want my fish to adjust slowly to avoid shock.

As far as this thread, believe it or not, I think it's a good resource for people just starting out w/ Mollies. However...

- The facetious remarks, (although slightly entertaining lol), were not needed. It would be a shame to see a newbie post pics of their fruit salad tank. lol Just sayin'.

- Those that expressed "facts" really needed to make a notation in their posts as to where they found their information.

- I also observed someone post "facts" on this thread that contradicted what they had posted in another thread pertaining to this exact same subject.

I may be fairly new to this site, but shouldn't we be providing accurate information to those that seek our help?

That is all. :D

/unsubscribe

Point taken and a good one to boot. Much of the time I am typing from memory and so don't post any notations. In any similar discussions, if can find my sources I will note them in the future.

Occasionally I will seem to contradict myself. I assure you that that is because I don't always make myself as clear as I should. I'll think I was clear enough, but upon reflection and review, I find that I was not. Then when I notice it and correct it, I fail to indicate in later posts that is what I am doing. I am trying to polish how I write, do a better job of communicating my points and make myself clearer. I will diligently try to avoid those mistakes in the future. I am sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Couldn't help the facetious remarks. It was just too tempting. But I did try to make it clear that humor was the intent.

I was done with this thread as well, but I wanted to explain what had happened. I'm done!

My clarification before this thread is closed, as I'm sure it will be.

My mandarin orange comparison was meant just as that. The point I was trying to make was that without hard evidence, who's to say what's right or wrong? Without linking a scientific article, there's nothing there to back up what is being said. Sure, I meant the oranges part as a bit of humor, but all relating the point I was trying to make. Definitely didn't mean it to sound facetious.

my boyfriend just noticed a question in the Q&A SALTWATER in TROPICAL FISH MAGAZINE-ABOUT MOLLIES-may-2011 issue..thought i would point that out. it mentioned nothing about salt being harmful, and lfs usually sell them as freshwater so aclimate them to salt slowly.

It is a new topic but I think the thread has ran its course. Everyone seems to have given their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom