Mollies or Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadyFish04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im stocking my 20 gallon soon and need some advice on what fish to put in there. I want dwarf gouramis and albino cory catfish for sure. What I cannot choose between are neon tetras and dalmatian mollies. Both seem like great fish. I think the neon tetras would look great in my tank, but I've read a lot about how they aren't very hardy fish. Some people said they die easily because they are bred to quantity not quality due to their large demand and popularity among fish keepers. Any thoughts on which of the two fish i should get?

Go for neon tetras. Mollies tend to get a little bit for a 20g.

Also, only get a single dwarf gpurami because they 're super territorial.

Go for neon tetras. I found neon tetras fragile yes but once they settled down they do great. You need to slowly acclimate them. If possible use drip acclimation but not necessary. Also buy neon tetras when they are in LFS for like four days minimum. I had done a mistake in past. My LFS had stock on Tuesday from different city and I use to go and buy on same day and during acclimatization process many dies. Reason was first neons traveled in bag for long time. Then stressful process of acclimation to LFS tanks and as soon as they started to feel good I went and bought so again stressful procedure for that.

If I were you I would buy neon tetras. They look amazing in school.

Im thinking about neons too, however I've been informed that they prefer low pH. Currently my pH is at a 7.6 which I'm planning on bringing down with driftwood.

Im thinking about neons too, however I've been informed that they prefer low pH. Currently my pH is at a 7.6 which I'm planning on bringing down with driftwood.
They will be fine. I replied in your other thread about lowering pH. I am keeping them in 7.5 without any issues at all. They are active and healthy and eating like crazy which means they are fine.

Thanks for the info, Im fairly new to the hobby its good to get advice :)

Molies are cute but produce a lot of waste. Neon tetra are fragile and need to be carefully introduced. Also be aware of neon tetra disease... as this killed all my neon tetras, cardinal tetra and rummy nose tetra. Always QT ur fish. Mollies are hardy but may pick a fight with your gourami.

I have experience with neons as well, and they are so funny to watch! Especially during feeding. They will take flakes that are too big for them and persist on tearing a piece off. They may not be as vibrant as you want when you first buy them, by they'll settle down after a day or two.

I have experience with neons as well, and they are so funny to watch! Especially during feeding. They will take flakes that are too big for them and persist on tearing a piece off. They may not be as vibrant as you want when you first buy them, by they'll settle down after a day or two.
Agree and when the color up they are very entertaining to see. Both neons and cardinals.

Back
Top Bottom