mollies trying to eat plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmrwiggly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
I'm having a problem with my Gold Doubloon Mollies pulling the leaves off of
my Rotala Nanjensh and Hornwort. I've also been finding leaves floating around from my Moneywort. What I want to know is. Would algae wafers help to keep them from attacking the plants?
I have too much money invested on my plants but the wife wants to keep the mollies.

John

Usually you can find Hikari Seaweed Extreme. Yes it says for Marine fish, but my FW fish love this food a lot, have been using it for about 4 years with FW. Not possitive it will make them stop bothering your plants but it helps give them good color and the fish love it. Alternatively you could try strip seaweed salad but it is similarly priced and the Hikari is much less mess.

Sometimes too low lighting and lack of nutrients are a cause of losing leaves.
Seaweed Extreme™ - Hikari Sales USA

This is the second time Ive heard of Mollies eating plants in the past few weeks. Someone in the pet store mentioned it to me when asking me a question about tanks. I couldnt believe them. I had mollies in my planted and never dealt with this.

Sailfin balloon mollies are still some of my fav fish.

My mollies devastate my hornwort on a regular basis, glad it's not an expensive replacement

Back
Top Bottom