Molly Fish In Brackish Water & Molly Fish Pregnancies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lithium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I now that mollies can live in brackish water, but I read somewhere that only some strains can tolerate it. Is this true?

Onto my second question, do female mollies get noticeable slower when their pregnant? Or do they still move at the same speed, if I have to I could sex them to be only males or only females.

All mollies can live in brackish water. However, if they have been raised in freshwater you have to very slowly raise the salt level for them to adapt to it. I have added as much as 3 tablespoons of salt to a 10 gallon molly tank with no problems. I would do research on how to acclimate them to brackish water if you want to do that. Or buy some that have been raised in brackish water.

Pregnant mollies do not really act any different than non pregnant ones until they are close to delivering. They get very boxy looking, like they swallowed a square, and will sometimes spend more time closer to the heater. You can sex the fry when they get 3-4 months old. Some take as long as 6 months to be able to tell male from female. As soon as the males get their gonopodium(? spelling) they can impregnate the females. Females can hold onto sperm for up to 6 months and have many births from one breeding. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom