Molly Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a little Molly fry yesterday and placed her in my 20gal tank with 3 Serpaes, 2 Guppies, 2 Angel fry, 1 T-Shirt tetra, and 1 Mickey Mouse Platy. When I first put her in the Serpaes went crazy and chased her around. She finally found a hiding spot and escaped the Serpaes. They searched the tank for her then finally found her and chased her around. I fed them to be sure they didn't attempt to tear her apart (She is bigger then the largest fish's mouth so they wouldn't be able to just eat her.) and she came out from hidding to find a snack and they didn't seem to care until all the food at the top was gone. Then they chased her around until she escaped and hid. Every time I feed she comes out and gets the few crumbs they miss that float to the bottom and today I found a large chunk out of her tail. I'm worried she isn't getting enough food, I have a Aqua Nursery that I could put her in to be sure she eats enough and doesn't get eaten by my Serpaes but I am debating whether or not to put her in it.

Thanks,
GuppyLover

I would separate her as soon as possible. The nipping from the serpaes are not helping at all. Soon, she could stress out enough to die.

I would advise to do Partial water changes everyday to help with the healing of the nipped fin. If any bacterial infection start, I would recommend to using Pimafix followed up with the water changes everyday until gone.

Once you decide it is 'ok' for her to be put in tank, feed the fish first. They will be less likely to attack the fish (when put in the aquarium) once satisfied with a full belly.

One question, Is this the 10 gallon tank with all the fish?

I just got her in it with a plant and a little gravel. I fed her and she ate all of it in 10 seconds. Looks like the poor little guy was starving! And I also discovered its a girl!

Glad she is already doing great! :)

Is there a filter? If not, you are going to have to do a water change everyday even if she doesnt have a disease. The ammonia and nitrite levels could rise without the filter, so with the water changes, it will keep them down.

I'll try and get a picture of her in her aqua nursery tomorrow. Its a little nursery I put in my aquarium. If you google 'Penn Plax Aqua Nursery' you can see what it looks like. She is in the large compartment without the fry drop.

Its super easy to take apart and put together. I just put a little marble thing over the fry drop and took the fry part and the fry tube off.She seems so happy to be able to swim arpund without the Serpaes all over her. My guppies and her pet shop friend the mickey mouse platy hang around her cage and since my serpaes are deftly afraid of my mickey they leave her alone lol.

I just hope my guppy doesn't decide to drop while she is in there XD lol

Just took a look at your pictures. You have a very pretty planted tank - KUDOS! I'm sorry your molly fry is going through so much stress. One of my mollies just had frys (or is it fries:confused:). I have a serpae and guppies and fortunately they are all getting along. I hope your little guy (I'm sorry - little girl) gets better and does well!

Thanks! When those pictures where taken I only had my Serpaes and my Cardinals (who passed away) in there and only a few plants. Now it has more plants and plenty more fish. I'll try and update my album soon with pictures of my molly fry and my aquarium! Wish ya' all the best with your molly fry! Can't wait until my little girl grows up and has her first batch of fry! I wish I had my Mexican Sailfin although he passed away do to a unknown flesh eating disease. They would have had gorgeous babies :)

Back
Top Bottom