Molly fry and the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platylover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I just had my 3rd batch of black molly fry last night (boy, they sure weren't kidding when they say livebearers can hold sperm for a long time, 3 months without a male) and I called the LFS since there is no way that I can keep any of them and they said that they would take them after a month for free or I can wait 4 months and get partial credit for them.

My questions are:

1. Is this the normal thing for the LFS's to offer or should I try to find a different one to sell to?

2. How long does it take for molly fry to reach adulthood?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Scottw68TN,
Thanks for the quick reply.

They actually didn't say how much credit, I guess I should have asked. I have read at some other posts that some LFS's will give 50% credit at 1 month of age, so when they told me this, I was kind of confused. This is my first time trying to sell fish fry to the LFS, so I don't even know what kind of ?'s to ask.

Also, do you think that I would be better off getting a small tank to raise the fry in? I currently raise them in a plastic breeder trap until they are big enough to hold their own in the main tank. This method takes for ever and I don't know if they would grow faster in a 2.5 gal or not. I know they grow faster in a 20 gal but another 20 gal is out of the question. (space restrictions)

My local LFS sell 2 week old fry for a buck a piece.

This PetLand, the same store you see my great disliking for in the retailers section.

I traded 9 or so fry into a nearby lfs for $8 credit ... the fry were about 3 months old.

most of the time I just give the fry away to the local lfs, or let my angelfish eat them.

Ok, so I guess that the offer that the LFS gave me was a good offer. They told me that selling young fry is very hard to do, so they usually donate them to local schools for science classes.

"donate them to local schools for science classes."

i have no problem watching little fish get eaten, but i would never give away fry to a school 8O

Yah, I didn't quite know what to think about that last part when they told me about it. I guess I can add that to my list of questions to ask them before I give them the fry.

If its 50% its a good deal. I raise mine in a seperate tank which would be better than a breeder tank as after a few weeks it gets kinda crowded

My daughter's elementary school has a tank that I donated to them, fish included, and they do use it for science class, but only to learn about the nitrogen cycle and things like algae, snail reproduction, etc. I am sure a donation for science makes us think about all of those hapless frogs in high school!

They told me that selling young fry is very hard to do, so they usually donate them to local schools for science classes.

This is more likely to be for the purpose of raising the fish, not dissecting them!

My neighbor is a elementary school teacher, I gave him some white cloud minnow fry for his tank this year.

It sounds like the donation thing isn't as bad as it sounds. Thanks all on the replys and helping me decide that this is a good deal. BTW, just called the LFS and it is 50% credit for the 4 month old fry. I may have to try to talk my wife into a small tank to raise the fry in and go ahead and keep them until they are 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom