Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Molly gender mix up - recos?

So back in December I bought i went to the LFS and bought two Molly fry ... 1 male 1 female is what I asked for. The LFS guy studied the two pretty closely (prob bc they were so small) and said yep- here you go. 1 M and 1 F. As they grew I could have sworn I saw one with a gono and one withe the fanned anal fin (F).

Then I added another female in Jan since I know you should have more females than males... Ideally 1:3 or 1:4.

WELL ... To my surprise i recently noticed the original "female" flexing good old mr. gonopodium! So now, I have 2 males and 1 female in the tank. Im pretty attached to all 3 of them but know I need to make a change. Tank size is 26 gallons. I also have 9 neon tetras in there.

Can I add 5 females without overstocking this tank? (total would be 17 fish in a 26G. 8 mollies and 9 neons).

I would consider an all molly tank. If I were to return my 9 neons how many more mollies could I safely add?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

AqAdvisor telling me I can fit 8 Dalmatian mollies into my 26G tank with 9neon tetras and be at 120% capacity since I have a lot of filtration running. 30% PWC weekly.

Does this sound doable? Are AqAdvisor estimates usually conservative?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would just get another two females and keep your bioload more manageable. I know everything is mentioned about ratios but if you have more females than males then you should be fine. Not ideal, but doable.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron
I would just get another two females and keep your bioload more manageable. I know everything is mentioned about ratios but if you have more females than males then you should be fine. Not ideal, but doable.
That seems like a safe way to approach it. thanks for the suggestion!

Tags
gender, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com