Molly gender mix up - recos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
So back in December I bought i went to the LFS and bought two Molly fry ... 1 male 1 female is what I asked for. The LFS guy studied the two pretty closely (prob bc they were so small) and said yep- here you go. 1 M and 1 F. As they grew I could have sworn I saw one with a gono and one withe the fanned anal fin (F).

Then I added another female in Jan since I know you should have more females than males... Ideally 1:3 or 1:4.

WELL ... To my surprise i recently noticed the original "female" flexing good old mr. gonopodium! So now, I have 2 males and 1 female in the tank. Im pretty attached to all 3 of them but know I need to make a change. Tank size is 26 gallons. I also have 9 neon tetras in there.

Can I add 5 females without overstocking this tank? (total would be 17 fish in a 26G. 8 mollies and 9 neons).

I would consider an all molly tank. If I were to return my 9 neons how many more mollies could I safely add?

AqAdvisor telling me I can fit 8 Dalmatian mollies into my 26G tank with 9neon tetras and be at 120% capacity since I have a lot of filtration running. 30% PWC weekly.

Does this sound doable? Are AqAdvisor estimates usually conservative?

I would just get another two females and keep your bioload more manageable. I know everything is mentioned about ratios but if you have more females than males then you should be fine. Not ideal, but doable.

Aron said:
I would just get another two females and keep your bioload more manageable. I know everything is mentioned about ratios but if you have more females than males then you should be fine. Not ideal, but doable.

That seems like a safe way to approach it. thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom