Molly Hiding. Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumAstro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post, I hope this is the proper discussion thread.

I have a female molly who has been hiding behind the heater for the past week and a half. She darts out quickly when I drop in food (after the other fish have eaten) and then she frantically scrambles back to her hiding spot.

This is my first tank. It is a small (10 gallon) heavily planted community tank and she is the largest fish in there (3 guppies, 1 Endler, a couple of neon tetras, and two Zebra snails).

My water has been testing fine with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and just tiny amounts of nitrates (can't quite remember the numbers offhand). I keep the temperature at 25 degrees (76-77 Fahrenheit).

I've had the tank for five months and she has been in it for four of those months.

I don't know if I have left anything out but hopefully somebody can enlighten me. I've established this tank through lurking on these forums so I know the info is out there. Thanks for your help!

It's mid-spring. Getting warmer. Go figure. She is getting a little vertical too if that is an indication of anything. I fed her some peas last night and within an hour or so she swam out for a bit but in short order returned to her hiding spot.

only thing i could think of is probably she is pregnant and will give birth soon. livebearers (fish that give birth to actual baby fish instead of laying eggs) tend to do that a lot when they are about to give birth. but who knows maybe it could be another thing

Well this might be interesting. There was a male swordtail in there but he died a little while ago so I didn't even have him figure into the equation. I will just observe and see what happens. Tanks for the hints.

I had a Molly exhibiting the same symptoms as yours. Incredibly shy. Only came out rarely to feed and then darted back into hiding as if in a panic. She also slowly had problems staying upright that just got worse and worse. I never did find out what exactly was wrong, but she didn't make it.

Hope you have better luck.

Nothing specific that I recall except for a couple of new live plants. I do a 25% water change every Friday. I used to do a lot more but found I was stressing/killing fish (lousy learning curve for a new tank owner).

Nothing specific that I recall except for a couple of new live plants. I do a 25% water change every Friday. I used to do a lot more but found I was stressing/killing fish (lousy learning curve for a new tank owner).

I've got that problem as well. Gradually lost platies after pwc's even though the temperature was fairly close and I slowly mixed the water in by bucket. The last one is in a 5 gal which gets 50 to 70% pwc's weekly and isn't bothered at all. Can't figure it.

Rest of the fish are pretty much fine with water changes and the rosy barbs love them. Now I just drag the hose in.

Water Changes

Hello Aq...

Mollies are one of the most sensitive aquarium fish you can keep. They're sensitive about their water conditions and food. A 25 percent water change weekly isn't enough for this fish. But, if you must do small water changes, then perform the change every three days.

These livebearing fish require a variety of frozen, freeze dried and flakes. I add a little minced garlic in my livebearer tanks. This herb is high vitamin and a natural antibiotic. Look into products from San Fran Bay, Hikari, Tetra, Cobalt and Spice World.

B

Back
Top Bottom