Molly in shock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I may have made a fatal error. My 13 gallon tank has been established for about two months. I had been doing small water changes. I recently got a vacuum and water tester. I learned the ammonia levels were greater than 8 ppm. So, I did a 90% water change and tried to vacuum as much of the debris as I could. I didn’t mean to change that much, but did not realize how much debris was in the rocks and the water sucked out faster than I could vacuum. That being said, the fish were in some dirty dirty water once it got low since all the debris was kicked up.

After the water change, I noticed one of the Dalmatian mollies was lying listless at the bottom of the tank in a u shape with clamped fins. I also noticed one eye was cloudy/swollen but am not sure if that occurred before or after. I put an extra air stone in the tank and turned up the oxygen. I added Melafix. He got better, but definitely was swimming funny and seemed to not be able to move his fins correctly. It is now the third day and she is swimming vertical. I noticed that his fins look a little shredded. That could possibly be from the other Molly nipping. Is this swim bladder? Ammonia poisoning? Shock? All of the other fish appear normal except for one Mickey Mouse platy that has been resting at the bottom a lot and has a big gray spot where the Mickey Mouse logo is. I put them both in an isolation tank so the other fish stop bothering them.

What to do?

Attachments

• 5BD6E4A9-BA8D-466C-A674-54A68CF89D5F.jpg
    5BD6E4A9-BA8D-466C-A674-54A68CF89D5F.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 77
  • F00DE247-3927-4694-A124-C9C4A91DB3B7.jpg
    F00DE247-3927-4694-A124-C9C4A91DB3B7.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 1E3C4C08-80E8-4E9F-90E3-1E22CE93834E.jpg
    1E3C4C08-80E8-4E9F-90E3-1E22CE93834E.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 67
Current plan: not going to feed tomorrow and then I will try the frozen pea remedy the next day. I also ordered some of the meth blue treatment of the Melafix does not work. Not sure what else to do

How many fish do you have in the 13 gallon? Your tank might be overstocked.
You may have kicked up some ammonia bubbles (or something like that) if you vacuumed too aggressively. Make sure you keep testing the water. More water changes may be necessary. Make sure you didn't destroy any beneficial bacteria and restart your cycle or cause a mini cycle.

How many fish do you have in the 13 gallon? Your tank might be overstocked.
You may have kicked up some ammonia bubbles (or something like that) if you vacuumed too aggressively. Make sure you keep testing the water. More water changes may be necessary. Make sure you didn't destroy any beneficial bacteria and restart your cycle or cause a mini cycle.
I have two mollies, two platys, and one gourami. I immediately tested the water after that huge change and got the ammonia down from 8+ to 0.5. I just retested the water and the ph is 7.8, ammonia 4, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5. I cannot figure out what I’m doing wrong. The tank was fully cycled before I added fish.

That sounds like it's overstocked. The ammonia is being caused by all the waste from the fish. Can you return or rehome some of them? Usually just 1 gourami and nothing else goes in a 15 gallon. You could also just keep the platies.
Either that or you have to do some serious water changes every week.

For now I'd do 50% water changes every 4-6 hours until you get your ammonia to 0. Then plan on daily 25-33% water changes. Test the water daily and before a water change. If it gets ridiculously high repeat the 50% water changes every 4-6 hours.

It's a pain in the rear but your tank should level out in a couple weeks. Even then with your stock you may have to be doing 50% water changes every 3-4 days to keep things where they need to be.

As Sara said, see if you can re-home later or get a bigger tank or even a tank of the same size and split up your fish. You may be ok with your stock once you get a schedule down.

For now I'd do 50% water changes every 4-6 hours until you get your ammonia to 0. Then plan on daily 25-33% water changes. Test the water daily and before a water change. If it gets ridiculously high repeat the 50% water changes every 4-6 hours.

It's a pain in the rear but your tank should level out in a couple weeks. Even then with your stock you may have to be doing 50% water changes every 3-4 days to keep things where they need to be.

As Sara said, see if you can re-home later or get a bigger tank or even a tank of the same size and split up your fish. You may be ok with your stock once you get a schedule down.
I will start changing the water now. Not sure the store will take them back since I’ve already had them 2 months. Annoyed that I specifically asked if that number and type of fish was okay for my size tank and they even said I could put in more than I did.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to help the Molly?

What is the dimensions of the tank?

Is it a dwarf Gourami?

I'd say off hand you are slightly overstocked but possibly manageable.

Just keep on top of your water changes and water testing. Keep the water pristine and see if they bounce back

What is the dimensions of the tank?

Is it a dwarf Gourami?

I'd say off hand you are slightly overstocked but possibly manageable.

Just keep on top of your water changes and water testing. Keep the water pristine and see if they bounce back
It’s a kissing gourami. The tank is 8.25 x 24 x 14. I have the ill platy and molly in an isolation tank. It is too small for them long term but wanted to give them a break from the other fish harassing.

Pic of the tank in case it’s helpful. Working on the water change which is why the water is low.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 80
Ya that Gourami isn't going to work. It gets too big. 10 inches. Gotta re-home that guy soon.

The molly is getting worse. She’s floating belly up now, but is still breathing. Idk what to do!

Back
Top Bottom