Molly not venturing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got recently got 4 mollys today. They live in a 70 gallon tank with no other fish. they seem to just hang about on the surface and in the corner. are they too scared? Im also worried that the filter is too strong and the out source is pushing them to the corner. if i cover the out source a bit, the debris wont travel to the in source and the tank wont get any cleaner.

suggestions?

Likely they are adjusting to the new surroundings and tank. Give them a day or two to get brave enough to look around. Soon, they should be acting normally.

I'm assuming your tank is new and not cycled so your ammonia may be high which can have an effect. What are you perameters and what kind of filter to you have? If your tank is new, read up on cycling and don't add any more fish.

It all depends on what your water parameters are and how old your tank is.

If they are at the surface and breathing hard, then they are lacking Oxygen. IMO, mollies are happier and thrive in a brackish environment. If they are currently the only fish in your tank, I suggest adding some aquarium salt to your tank.

The salt will help with gill function and reduce stress.

I would be interested as to the age of your current tank set-up and the water chemistry values, but it could well be that they are simply serrling into new, unfamiliar surroundings and will be quite right by tomorrow evening.

Um

70 gallon tank

Ammonia level is .25

Nitrite Level is 0

Niitrate level is 20

Hardness level is 120

Alk level is 120

PH is 8.2

I had turtles in the tank a few weeks before but they died so I did a 90% water change and let it sit for about 5 days.

questions:

what is a brackish environment

how do i cycle?

I have some concerns about what may have been left behind after the turtles (I would have completely drained and emptied the tank, then cleaned it with very hot water and a bit of bleach before using it for fish). What sort of turtles were they, and why did they die (I am curious, as most turtles kepot as pets have a lifespan of at least 30 years)?

i cleaned the tank out 95% after, added more waterand drained that out

i believe it died because it ate the gravel :(

Back
Top Bottom