molly, platy, balas, argh.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pixeyness

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my lyretail molly is trying to get her head above the water line. my platy seems to be extremely erratic. I thought my balas had ich and treated the tank and now once seems to like being vertical. What the heck is going on here!?!?!??!I spoil these fish, so why am I having so much difficulty?[

Hiya Pixeyness and welcome to Aquariumadvice:

What's your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrates)? Ich meds tend to kill off the good bacteria; theres a chance your tank is cycling again. If you don't have tests at home, drag some tank water to the lfs store tomorrow and ask them to check it; I'll just about guarantee the prob is water parameters. Do a water change tonite anyway.

Hiya Pixeyness

Welcome to Aquarium advice from me also:

I would definitely get your water tested as Allivymar suggested, With your fish hanging at the water surface i would say they are having trouble breathing. If your ammonia/nitrites or nitrates are high what this does is clog up the gills and the fish finds it hard to take oxygen from the water so they have to go to the surface for it.
I would do a water change as Alli said because that will help them a bit and hopefully stop your bala from hanging vertical in the water which is another sign that he is finding it hard to breath and he is hanging vertical because he is slowly suffocating and finding it hard to get to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom