Molly pregnancy behavior.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My black Molly is pregnant and looks like she can blow any minute. What are some things a Molly will do right before she goes into labor?

Hide is one most do and some will swim up and down the tank wall and sometimes when they are doing this the babies are already coming out!!!

Pckerfreak44 said:
Oh boy. She's hiding right now

Had one that hid behind filter and gave birth but I would watch or but in breeders trap or something like that.

I've added a bunch of new plants and some are made for fry. So I think at least some will make it. I'm hoping. This is my first time haha

Pckerfreak44 said:
I've added a bunch of new plants and some are made for fry. So I think at least some will make it. I'm hoping. This is my first time haha

Oh good luck! Watching birth is amazing! Idk about the poop hour before mine pooped out white idk if that was normal.

mine started chasing away other fish first, then hid behind a decoration and swam up and down the side of the tank frantically... a few minutes later a little black dot made it's way out. ;) sounds like she's close! do you have something covering the filter intake?

Yes you will need cuz the fry could get sucked up. You could use nylon or a sponge. Sponge filter are good for frys too.

Pckerfreak44 said:
I have two filters. One that has like the long tube intake and one has the intake in the filter. How would I sponge them up?

Cut a piece of pantyhose and fix it over them

boadams87 said:
Cut a piece of pantyhose and fix it over them

+1 that's what I did then had something like rubber band or tie straps will get pick but can cut open sponge ( depends on kind) then wrap around lot of different ways to do :).

Welcome my just had that behaviors and I put her in breeders trap.
i personally don't like breeding traps. they cause way too much stress on the females, and they often cause the females to abort fry, which is bad for females in the long run. it's better to provide lots of hiding places in a fry only tank and simply remove the female when she's done.

blackmolly said:
i personally don't like breeding traps. they cause way too much stress on the females, and they often cause the females to abort fry, which is bad for females in the long run. it's better to provide lots of hiding places in a fry only tank and simply remove the female when she's done.

She hasn't been laying any but I think she did but ate them. I made a homemade trap because I don't have that much money to spend I don't like them ether though.

Well she is In my community tank and I have a lot of hiding places for the fry so I think they will be fine. Only my mollies have big enough mouths to eat the fry and I only have 2 so I think they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom