Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Molly question

I broke down and got a few mollies to get a few more fish in the tank as it was looking very empty. I got 6 dalmatians and 2 gold lyretail panda mollies about a week ago. For some reason the panda mollies hide all the time. It's really weird. Today was the first day they sort of came out when I feed them other wise they are in the plants and behind the driftwood and totally hidden to the point I had to move plants around to make sure they were still alive. Anybody ever have this happen before?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guess is they are just settling in. Might help to dim the lights for a few days.
I just posted a thread about my new baby Flowerhorns. The are acting like your Mollies, hiding behind the rocks, being a little finicky with their food. It might take a week or two until things level out.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sure hope so I got them because they are so pretty! I would really like to enjoy them!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello flit...

Mollies are the most difficult of the live bearing fish to keep. They have specific tank requirements, water conditions and food that the other species don't. I can tell you, the fish is territorial and aggressive if they feel crowded. So, larger tanks are best. The fish is very sensitive to even slight traces of nitrogen in their water. Large, weekly water changes of at least half the tank water are needed. They need a variety of foods too. You should be feeding low phosphate flakes, freeze dried foods and frozen. Plants, especially any that naturally float will help with filtration and provide a supplement to the fishes' diet.

The large, frequent water change is the most important. Change a lot of tank water and do it often and your Mollies will be healthy.

B
Old 03-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water conditions won't be an issue it's a 55 and I do 50% water changes twice a week, it's a heavily planted tank. My nitrates will forever be the bane of my existence. the lowest I can get them is 20 but that's just my water.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Water conditions won't be an issue it's a 55 and I do 50% water changes twice a week, it's a heavily planted tank. My nitrates will forever be the bane of my existence. the lowest I can get them is 20 but that's just my water.

Are you using co2? My experience with livebearers and co2 was not a good one.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope just glut the ones I have had in the past were never bothered by it.

Tags
molly, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com