Mollys Can Change Colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a molly who, when I got her a month ago, was white on her stomach and kind of brown and light brown spotted on top. Now she's changed to white on bottom and black on top. Is this normal or something I should be worried about?
PS: She's acting fine. Params are good. No deaths. Everyone is happy.

I have a black and white that changed too. It picked up a goldish color near his head and then a blueish color near his tail. My LFS could not explain why.

i wouldnt worry about it. we have dalmation mollies, who should just be black and white. but they have flecks of goldy orange and shimmers of blue in them.

They do that. I had some that started out pure white with black spots and ended up mostly black. They are the undercover agents of the fish world.

Ok gotcha. Well upon research, I also read that some fish can change sex. Is this really true? Has anyone witnessed this? I ask because that same fish seems to have lost her fin and gained a weewee! I've been keeping a close eye on her/him/it for a few days now, in hopes to witness the fin spreading out, but it still looks just like...a weewee.

Does your molly spread its other fins out most of the time . Clamped fins could be a sign of velvet or some disease.

ssa said:
lost her fin and gained a weewee!

You mean a gonopodium? ;)

Sorry, I can't add anything more helpful here. I've never had a fish change colors, or sexes, for that matter.

You are likely just witnessing it maturing.

No, she/he doesnt have clamped fins. And yes, it's a weewee ;-) lol, and no, she was already matured and fully grown when I purchased her with a very clear fanned out anal fin, whereas now it's clearly a gonopodium.

I think you're looking at my black molly... I do have a picture of her, but its kind of hard to see. Although, you can clearly see that she was a girl in it. I'm going to take video of my fish I think...

That would be great add a bit of you set up as it is nice to see others lay out and designs please?
Thanks will keep a eye out let us know when you have done it

Back
Top Bottom