Mono Angelfish, Cichlids and brackish water transition. Need big help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys. Need your help. Its a long post but please reply till the end and please suggest me what is best.

I have a cichlid tank. After watching some videos on YouTube where cichlids and Monos are kept together successfully I bought a pair of Monos. My cichlids started to bully them so I removed those cichlids from tank. Now everything seems peaceful.

My main focus on mono angels because I adore them so much so I can let go any other fish back to store if it bothers Monos.

My questions are two.

1) I read that cichlids can be kept in brackish water so if no more bullying by cichlids shall I convert my water into brackish. Will the cichlids will be fine in brackish? I have four Tilapia butterkoferis, one dragonblood peacock, four small very small cichlids. I bought yellow fish very small when they were frys so they are still very small. Will they be good in brackish setup?

2) Or do I need to remove all cichlids from tank and put only Monos and other brackish water fish like green spotted puffers or others which are compatible. I mean shall I experience with the fish I have or shall I remove all cichlids?

Please help. Thanks.

Why not give the mono a brackish like they'd prefer and leave the cichlids alone??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why not give the mono a brackish like they'd prefer and leave the cichlids alone??

Because have only one tank for now and can only place one tank in my bedroom where I can see them often. Other two tanks I have are occupied with peaceful fish and other small fish like neons.

Well you can't have every fish you'd like with only one tank now can you?? That's why I have 7;) you know what you have to do...

Well you can't have every fish you'd like with only one tank now can you?? That's why I have 7;) you know what you have to do...

I can't afford and don't have place for more tanks. I wish I could be like you.

I suppose some cichlids could survive for awhile in brackish water, just like many brackish fish can survive for a time in fresh water, but I don't believe they would thrive, and they certainly wouldn't have a long life expectancy.
African Rift Lake cichlids live in fairly hard water, with high PH, but it certainly isn't brackish. Several other cichlid species share this preference, but as many others need softer, more acidic water. I would advise against putting them in brackish water.
If you have only one available tank, my advice would be to rehome the cichlids.

I suppose some cichlids could survive for awhile in brackish water, just like many brackish fish can survive for a time in fresh water, but I don't believe they would thrive, and they certainly wouldn't have a long life expectancy.
African Rift Lake cichlids live in fairly hard water, with high PH, but it certainly isn't brackish. Several other cichlid species share this preference, but as many others need softer, more acidic water. I would advise against putting them in brackish water.
If you have only one available tank, my advice would be to rehome the cichlids.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I rehome them and got Monos in a separate tank. I will open a new topic on it so please share ur knowledge in that topic about Monos. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom