Monster on the loose!!!0_0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe a whole population was surviving winters with no help. And what native-to-THAT-area species are they going to eat in farm ponds?

That was a population of Northern Snakeheads, perfectly capable of living through a Maryland winter. They ponds they were in were about 250 yards from the Patapsco river, which drains into the Chesapeake Bay, we have enough problems with the bay without Snakeheads added to the list.

corvuscorax said:
That was a population of Northern Snakeheads, perfectly capable of living through a Maryland winter. They ponds they were in were about 250 yards from the Patapsco river, which drains into the Chesapeake Bay, we have enough problems with the bay without Snakeheads added to the list.

Yeah, those are the fish I had referred to. They had to poison the ponds. Did they eradicate the snakeheads and were the ponds eventually restocked with native species?

Wow, Northern snakehead. You really think they could tolerate the chill, huh. I wouldn't have thought so. I guess that may have been bad.
if nothing ate it on its way to the river.

heh..now I have the mind picture of me calling up the street "wuuu-hoo! Wuuoooo-loooong" and asking my korean neighbors if they have seen my walking eel around. 8O :lol: :lol:

Christmasfish said:
heh..now I have the mind picture of me calling up the street "wuuu-hoo! Wuuoooo-loooong" and asking my korean neighbors if they have seen my walking eel around. 8O :lol: :lol:

No, they'd probably be the ones calling YOU to complain that your walking bichir dug up their petunias, broke open their garbage bags, and chewed up their newspaper before leaving a crap on their sidewalk! :lol: :lol:

ROTFL..MAO! :lol:
My neighbor closest has petunias, a sidewalk and get the local paper every other day! And garbage bags awaiting son to pick up twice a week....the image! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And my closest neighbor..oh my...their english... 8O
I am pretty tight with the grown kids to pass messages.
Luckily they are the american dream types and not crotchety stereotype you made me think of (i lived in Southern Cali)! :p OMG!
Don't forget the stereo type would offer me a bite of the nice dish they cooked with him, And maybe relax as we sample the treat to lecture me on proper control of livestock! so eh neber hapin ah gin...

lmao. That is too funny. Of course you could get alittle fishy collar and a leash to put him on and take him out for a walk every now an then. Now that would be a site to see.

8O 8O 8O :D :D :D
so glad you found him in time!!!! where do the stairs lead to??? he was obviously a fish on a mission? but what mission??
we lost one of our algae eating shrimps a few weeks ago........found him heading for the kitchen sink unfortunately didnt find him in time to save him but hed got about 4 metres, around the sofa, through the door ,:cry: we have a pretty tight fitting lid so its still a bit of a mystery how he got out.

He was coming up from the converteed basement t oteh main floor. To sound?
Hoping for dinner?

Now I am imaginning him staked out... with the dog (who'd prolly be at the far end of her chain to avoid him) 0_o.... JUSt SToooOOOPIt! I am dying here! :lol:
I'd prolly have someone stop and ask if he 's poisonous and put the hand near as asking. To decided an answer..hmmmm.

And people asking if I caught him in these lakes...hah! :roll: :lol:

They had to poison the ponds. Did they eradicate the snakeheads and were the ponds eventually restocked with native species?
Yeah, they poisoned everything, found several hundred snakeheads. I believe they said the adults must have spawned 3 or 4 times, due to the differing sizes of offspring. I'm also pretty sure the guy who dumped them in there admitted to doing it about 3 years before all the brouhaha, so they did live through some winters. All dead now, good! The State did the poisoning and draining, but the ponds were privately owned, so i have no idea if they were ever restocked with natives.

Christmasfish, I think you should sic that fish on a certain 3rd grade teacher!! :lol: :lol:

Snakeheads are extremely fascinating fish, and a great part of the ecosystem, in Asia, but they are just too much for the aquatic wildlife over here to handle, they're fine over there because its a natural balance. You introduce an awesome predator like that into small waterways in a new territory, all hell really breaks loose.

Back
Top Bottom