Moon Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey All -

Got a 55g freshwater tank. I am thinking about getting some blue "moon lighting" or whatnot. Thought it would be cool

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=35235;category_id=1869;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

or similar

Tell me - how many do you think I would need to light up a 55g adequately? I'm thinking two. Sound good?

Also, I have no clue how they hook together - or do they all have to be plugged in seperately??? I hope they are not hard to install, and will fit into my "48" All-Glass Single Deluxe Strip Light"

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

-William

with those, yeah you'd probably want two, one on each side, centered between the outer edge and the center brace.

Can they both hook into the same power source? Are they easy to install? Does anyone here have some??

From this picture (scroll to the bottom) you can see how they link together. You have one outlet cable going into the first unit, then an extension cable going between each additional unit and the previous one. You plug them in all with one outlet.

You will want to buy 1 unit with a power adapter and 1 unit with a linking cable.

lovemybarbs said:
Let me know how they work. You're my guinea pig!! I have the exact same set up. :twisted:

hmmmmm :idea: I might sell my results in the name of science...how much is it worth to ya?!?!? :wink:

I will keep you guys posted.

Got the lights some time ago - got two for my 55. They do not spread light out as much as I thought they would. If you are looking to light up your entire tank with a soft more even glow, then I would go with 3 lights (for a 55g). Two works okay, but it is not an even glow throughout the tank - you have some large dark spots.

unfortunately, the lights did not fit inside my light cover, so as of now they are taped behind it. If I was more confident in my abilities, I might try to cut out a spot to insert them, but it seems like a lot of work.

-William

I've been thinking about getting these...glad to know now that I will need more than 2. Like you they wouldn't fit in my hood. I'll have to see how much clearance there is between the PC & the reflector. Maybe I'll mount them straight onto the reflector behind the PC.

Of course, I've been tempted to build an entire new hood anyway...

I was looking at these as well...but I have a 75gal and I AM planning to make a wood canopy...so dilemma solved.

Overall, smithw14, would you say that these particular lunar lights are worth their price?

Yeah, I'm taking a 4 day weekend next month and my dad has a nice woodshop. I could probably build the hood with him in a few hours that weekend.

I was looking at those recently and the price went up there.

I'm thinking I should try one of those little lunar spot light looking things and see if those work by shooting through the glass top. :D

I'm glad to read these updates. I'll be setting up 2 20 gallon tanks on an iron stand (one on top, the other on the bottom). How much cord comes with the unit that doesn't have the power cord ? I'd like to hook 2 up to each tank but use only one power adapter.
Thanks !

I like the 12" blue cold cathode lights you can get for computer cases. You can get a pair of them for like $5 + $5 shipping at Newegg. It's simple to hook them up to a 12v adapter.

Tostada said:
I like the 12" blue cold cathode lights you can get for computer cases. You can get a pair of them for like $5 + $5 shipping at Newegg. It's simple to hook them up to a 12v adapter.

..I never thought of doing that. But that's not a bad idea either.

Back
Top Bottom