moon/lunar lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just saw some on ebay and at my lfs and was wondering a few things..
Does is do anything special that the fish need?
Is it necessary in a freshwater tank (of any aggression species)?

I did mine for around 6 bucks. Bought my LEDs from Unique Leds High Quality hard to find LED and LED products with fare shipping and everyday low pricing cost about $0.20 each and a resistor $0.99 for 5 and a $3 switch. I used a power supply from an old electric razor. I didnt notice any big rise in my electric bill either because the are such a low voltage.

The only thing I ran into is that with that site your minimum order has to be $5, which is hard since everything is soo cheap.

Since I have done this mod I have noticed more activity in the nochturnal creatures.

you wont see a difference in your electric bill from leds... i left an led maglight on sitting on the counter and it had to have been on for 3 weeks and the batteries lasted for a long time after that if that says anything

That's pretty sweet, but is it something they benefit from or is it just a waste of energy and utilities payment haha

We haven't noticed our bills going up. I don't know if the fish get any benefit from it honestly. We just thought it would be cool *lol* However, we did notice that when we kept Rams (before they would die for no reason) when I did a water change and the main lights went off, they would spawn in the "moonlight". Of course, none ever lived long enough for us to really learn if the moonlight helped in spawning.

My catfish are really active after the main lights go out and the moonlights come on. They look nice, allow me to see my fish that hide in the daylight, and keep me from tripping on toys in the dark on the way to the restroom. IMO that makes them necessary. :lol:

Alright so I guess if I end up going with it my excuse to people will be the cool factor. Haha nice thanks to everyone.

I gave points to everyone i could but apparently MFD and Dragon are too popular :)

Back
Top Bottom