Moonlight? Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YLD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to know where can I find those blue lights for my tank. I love how that looks in the saltwater ones. I haven't seen anything in any stores. The light fixture of my tank only have one space for lightbulb so I want something extra. Not very big just simple. Any ideas?

YLD said:
I would like to know where can I find those blue lights for my tank. I love how that looks in the saltwater ones. I haven't seen anything in any stores. The light fixture of my tank only have one space for lightbulb so I want something extra. Not very big just simple. Any ideas?

Unless you wanted to upgrade the actual lighting kit, I'd recommend going with a 50 / 50 bulb. The actinic lights are what give a bluish tint. I'm my setup I have 2 T-5 HO bulbs, 1 ultra sun and 1 actinic. If you only have room for 1, the 50/50 bulbs are basically a mixture or the two.

Here's an example of what to look for-
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reef-Aquarium-Bulb/dp/B001F97BSO

You can also look into "lunar" LED light fixtures that sit independently on your tank and offer a night time shimmering effect...I'll see if I can find a link for that.
Here's an idea of what to look for-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380336412719#ht_1374wt_689

I didn't have much luck finding moonlights either, (at least any that didn't cost a fortune), so I did a DIY moonlight. I just purchased a cheap clip-on LED light from Target and placed a blue lens from my exterior spot-light beneath it. I have pics of what it looks like in my profile album. If you want the link to the fixture, I could get it for you, (I would just need to search through my build threads lol).

Edit: Were you wanting a moonlight for lights-out or a blue hue during lights-on using an actinic bulb?

McLumpy said:
I didn't have much luck finding moonlights either, (at least any that didn't cost a fortune), so I did a DIY moonlight. I just purchased a cheap clip-on LED light from Target and placed a blue lens from my exterior spot-light beneath it. I have pics of what it looks like in my profile album. If you want the link to the fixture, I could get it for you, (I would just need to search through my build threads lol).

Edit: Were you wanting a moonlight for lights-out or a blue hue during lights-on using an actinic bulb?

Wow, that's a really cool effect you created in your album. I like it a lot, it's different from anything I've seen :)

eco23 said:
Unless you wanted to upgrade the actual lighting kit, I'd recommend going with a 50 / 50 bulb. The actinic lights are what give a bluish tint. I'm my setup I have 2 T-5 HO bulbs, 1 ultra sun and 1 actinic. If you only have room for 1, the 50/50 bulbs are basically a mixture or the two.

Here's an example of what to look for-
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reef-Aquarium-Bulb/dp/B001F97BSO

You can also look into "lunar" LED light fixtures that sit independently on your tank and offer a night time shimmering effect...I'll see if I can find a link for that.

Oh I think the one I have is the ultra sun, I like the 50/50, thanks I didn't know about it. But for sure that's what I want a lunar light that I can add outside or something. I'll google a lunar one but if you found one let mr know too :) thx

McLumpy said:

Ah what a cool idea thats exactly what I mean a lights-out blue light lol but I can't see your albums I'm trying to figure how to do it from this iPhone! Ugh

YLD said:
Oh I think the one I have is the ultra sun, I like the 50/50, thanks I didn't know about it. But for sure that's what I want a lunar light that I can add outside or something. I'll google a lunar one but if you found one let mr know too :) thx

I tacked on an eBay listing on the end of my first post. Try viewing the site on Safari instead of the app to try and see McLumpy's pics.

Wow, that's a really cool effect you created in your album. I like it a lot, it's different from anything I've seen :)

Thanks! :D The lens I had under the light in the pic is actually a multi-colored lens and it gives it a purple tint. It looks really cool in person! That's what was great about my moonlight... you can always change it up a little w/ different colored lenses. I tried a red too, but it was too scary looking. lol

Ah what a cool idea thats exactly what I mean a lights-out blue light lol but I can't see your albums I'm trying to figure how to do it from this iPhone! Ugh

I have a direct link to my photo album in my signature. If you can access that through your phone, you should be able to see the pics.

McLumpy said:
Thanks! :D The lens I had under the light in the pic is actually a multi-colored lens and it gives it a purple tint. It looks really cool in person! That's what was great about my moonlight... you can always change it up a little w/ different colored lenses. I tried a red too, but it was too scary looking. lol

I have a direct link to my photo album in my signature. If you can access that through your phone, you should be able to see the pics.

Yeah, pics never tell the real story with the bluish light. I've also got some pics in my profile album...but it came out looking neon blue instead of a nice, subdued blue/violet color, lol. Does the DIY idea look good aesthetically on the tank? Is it something you leave set up or bring out at night?

Here you go. Hopefully you can see the pics. They are a little blurry though, I haven't figured out my new camera settings yet. lol

32899-albums1356-picture10704.jpg

Ok dumb me lol I'm out of the app now I'll check the pics. And yes I saw the link with the 3 LEDs strip. Thanks I'll check on that one.

Ooohhh how nice! Yeah I want something like that. So it's just those led clip lamps and where did u get the blue lens? Or how you do it? So the lamp is just sitting on the top? That's what it looks like in the next pic.

Yeah, pics never tell the real story with the bluish light. I've also got some pics in my profile album...but it came out looking neon blue instead of a nice, subdued blue/violet color, lol. Does the DIY idea look good aesthetically on the tank? Is it something you leave set up or bring out at night?

I keep the fixture clipped on at all times and it looks great! The light fixture is black and silver and gives the tank a 'clean' look. The arm of the fixture bends down over the tank and I place the lens on top of my glass hoods directly beneath the fixture.

Depending on how close you have the fixture to the lens, you can also have light glowing on the wall behind the fixture. That's what I do and it looks awesome! Plus, if you need more light in the tank and don't want to turn on your main fixture, you can just move the lens out of the way. Sometimes I run the LED w/ my T5 fixture to give my plants a little more light.

McLumpy said:
I keep the fixture clipped on at all times and it looks great! The light fixture is black and silver and gives the tank a 'clean' look. The arm of the fixture bends down over the tank and I place the lens on top of my glass hoods directly beneath the fixture.

Depending on how close you have the fixture to the lens, you can also have light glowing on the wall behind the fixture. That's what I do and it looks awesome! Plus, if you need more light in the tank and don't want to turn on your main fixture, you can just move the lens out of the way. Sometimes I run the LED w/ my T5 fixture to give my plants a little more light.

It looks beautiful. I normally turn off my day light when the sun goes down and leave the actinic burning until I head to bed...but something like that (if it's as subdued as it appears in the pics) would be awesome to have some cool lighting over night. I'll chat with you guys tomorrow, good night!

McLumpy said:

Where did u exactly clipped the lamp? And where did u get the blue lens? It looks so pretty and I see something in the back, is that a bubble wall? or a light effect?

Ooohhh how nice! Yeah I want something like that. So it's just those led clip lamps and where did u get the blue lens? Or how you do it? So the lamp is just sitting on the top? That's what it looks like in the next pic.

Yep, here's a pic so you can see how the fixture extends above the tank.

32899-albums1356-picture10526.jpg

This is where I found the light. The lenses came from our exterior spotlight, but you may be able to find them alone w/o the spotlight at any hardware store.

eco23 said:
It looks beautiful. I normally turn off my day light when the sun goes down and leave the actinic burning until I head to bed...but something like that (if it's as subdued as it appears in the pics) would be awesome to have some cool lighting over night. I'll chat with you guys tomorrow, good night!
I saw yours too, it's a liiitle too bright lol right?
Goodnight! :)

McLumpy said:
Yep, here's a pic so you can see how the fixture extends above the tank.

This is where I found the light. The lenses came from our exterior spotlight, but you may be able to find them alone w/o the spotlight at any hardware store.

Oh that is such a great idea. If I do that I still have to find where to clip it because of the hood. And where to get the blue lens but I guess that's not a big deal.. thanks for the idea! :D

Yeah, I leave them on all night. I tend to stay up late and sometimes crash on the couch because it gives just enough light so I can "spy" on them. lol

Have a great night! :D

Where did u exactly clipped the lamp? And where did u get the blue lens? It looks so pretty and I see something in the back, is that a bubble wall? or a light effect?

I just have it clipped directly to the tank frame. The clip on that particular fixture is the best that I've found. Extremely heavy-duty and keeps a good hold on the frame.

The lens came from one of those garden spotlights that you can pick up at Lowes, etc. The spotlight came w/ 5 different colored lenses. I originally tried a colored disc from my underwater lights for my pond, but it didn't look nearly as good. Honestly, once you get the fixture, you can mess around w/ different light discs, lenses, or even colored transparencies that you can p/u at Hobby Lobby.

Welp, my sleeping pill is kicking into full gear, so I better go. lol Have a great night! :D

Edit: Oh and yes, that's a bubble wand. I turn it on 3/4 blast at night and slow it down to 1/4 blast during the day.

Back
Top Bottom