moonlights for freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin_j001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone out there have information regarding moonlights for freshwater tanks. Good idea, bad idea, doesn't matter at all? I'm considering some of Current USA's LED's (cheaper and expandable with their "linking" models) for my larger tank so that I can see what the pleco is up to at night, but would like to know if this is a bad idea for any reason beforehand. Any suggestions or more information would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Doesn't matter at all, as far as the fish/plants are concerned. The light is dim enough that it will not bother nocturnal species like your pleco. It makes for great night time viewing. Many many people do this on freshwater tanks.

I have it on my 45 and I don't think it has changed anything in the tank.

Where do you guys recommend either buying premade or building one yourself? I've been meaning to do this on my 20gallon to see my BN pleco and MTS but never got around to serious research (since the prices seemed awful high for premade ones).

The other night I got up for my nightly feeding (~2am) and realized I had left my computer on. As I was waiting for it to shutdown the light from the monitor illuminated the room slightly. I happened to look at the tank and freaked out. There was about 50 medium/large MTS almost evenly spaced out along the front glass. They were like a cow herd, each slowly grazing along the grass. That would be a really cool picture with a blue LED backlighting!

There's lots of different options available all over the place. I went on ebay and purchased LEDs and resistors in bulk from hong kong. They were cheap, and I have plenty. Everyone has old DC power supplies laying around (from an old cell phone, old router/switch, etc) that can be used. Wiring is simple with some basic soldering skills. I also drill direcly into my light fixture to mount them. Small holes are easier than installing a square box, like most units come with. Although I've done both.

I need to repair mine, I have a current USA fixture that has spots for them but they were never bright enough and eventually failed. I want to build my own to put in their place and I may drill some holes in the reflector to add a few additional ones to light the whole tank.

Does anybody know of a place (other than ebay, I hate ebay) to buy at least 100 degree (preferably 180) 5mm bright LEDs?

Also what mcd would be too bright for the fish do you think?

I don't know outside of ebay, but I'm sure you could find them with a quick search.

These are what I'm using and am very happy with them.

If you check that guys store he has all different colors, sizes, etc, and even the plastic holders for them like what comes in the Current fixture.

neilanh--any chance you have info for a wiring diagram at all? I was considering doing this myself, as like you mention, putting the LED's where you want is easier than having to deal with a couple square boxes.

drakh - Since there's no real added value in having moonlights for FW tanks, it really is strictly up to personal preference, and how heavily decorated your tank is.

For example, in my 46 gallon community, I only use a single LED in the center of the tank. But, in my 20 gallon heavily planted, I'm running 3 to get the look I want. There's no right solution or wrong way, it all comes down to what looks good to you.

Martin - Sparky697 has a thread in the DIY section, you should check it out. Here it is

He includes pictures, a wiring diagram, everything you need to get this done. He's the one that got me started on it...

Back
Top Bottom