Mopani driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, what wood is good for an aquarium? I need a hardwood, and I heard Mopani is good, but since I have to shop in the reptile section, and the employees at my LFS don't know squat, and neither does anyone else in my family, I came here. I really don't mind the tannins, but if there's an easy way that doesn't require boiling and sitting in a bucket for months, I'm all for it! Any tips based on personal experience are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mopani and malaysian are my two favorites. I've seen some good deals online. I'm lucky. My LFS puts it in their tanks so it sinks, has leeched the majority of tannins, and they sell it all for $10 which is great.

Lucky! Mine... Doesn't. I Only saw the Mopani though, anything I should know? I've never really dealt with driftwood, but since rubberlip plecos need it, and I plan to get one of em for my new tank, it's time. But really, anymore tips?

I wouldn't say the *need* it... but they do really enjoy it. Just soak it. It may or may not leech tannins. You can order it online fairly cheap.. probably a nicer piece for half what you'll pay in a store

You could throw some cholla wood in there too. Aquabid always has some as does eBay. Mine like to nibble on it

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Well the stuff at the store was ten bucks for a HUGE peice, so I don't think I'm getting scammed. And the driftwood actually is essential to a rubberlip's digestion. And just to double check, the tannins are harmless right?

if the pet store sells it even dry it is usualy safe to put in tanks but it is soo dry it takes forever to sink so i would sudgest hotglue it or drilling and screwing a flat rock to the side you want down then just putting it in your tank if you dont mind having the tannis blackwater colour... if you dont like the yellow just fill a clean nylon or fine mesh bag with active carbon give it a rinse and put it in the back of your filter mind you this only works if you have the hanging external filter the extra carbon should work for a month getting rid of the tannis while it water logs and keeping the water generaly clear

Got mines from mikeswetpets from aquabid for $9 + shipping and it's the Malaysian driftwood 17". Soaked it for a day and didnt leach any tannis. Also it sunk right away.

malaysian drift wood usualy sinks unless it is super dryed out like not in water for a few years mopany and vinewood and cypress usualy take a while to sink

Ok, well, I think I'm gonna give the driftwood at the pet store a shot, and test it in my ten gallon and see how much it leaches. If it doesn't leach that much, and sinks, I'll stick it in the new 29 gallon it's supposed to go in. One more question (for now) how should I clean it? Like, should I wash it in some tank water and scrub it? Or just drop it in? I've never really dealt with driftwood before... So bare with me here...

when you get it if it is dry it can take up to 2 weeks to sink i have a piece of wood i put in my tank a week ago its still floating but it was already leached from years ago when i had it in another tank ....but in your case it can leach for months befor it settles down thats why i sudgest using the carbon in the filter... but cleaning it give it a good rinse in HOT water and maby a scrub with one of those green scrubby things they come in a bunch of colours but i think you know what im talking about its like a cloth but scrubby just make shure you get ones with out soap or that have been used befor and give it a once over and rinse it in hot water again and i should be good to go in your tank if you dont mind it floating around for a while

I bought a piece of Mopani from the reptile section at Petco and had no problem getting it to sink. I also have yet to see it leach a large amount of tannins. I couldn't be happier! :D

I ended up soaking it in a bucket and didn't need to boil it at all. Every morning and night, I would dump the water and refill the bucket with extremely hot water. I did this for a total of 10 days. On the 11th day, I soaked it in hot water one more time, but added Prime to the water. After a few hours, I took the piece out, scrubbed the crevices with a sanitary toothbrush, then placed it back in the bucket for a few more hours.

I then rinsed the entire piece off w/ hot water from the shower head, dunked it one more time in the bucket of conditioned water, shook it off, and it went right into my tank. No problem whatsoever and my Pleco loves it!

Granted, the piece I got was a little over a foot long and fit nicely in the bucket, so if you were to go w/ a larger piece, your bathtub should suffice.

I just put a piece of mopani if my tropical tank. I boiled it for 5 hours, and changed the water ever 90 minutes or so. I didn't want to let it sit for weeks, and this seemed like an easier way to let some of the tannins escape. I actually like the look of the tannins, and it hasn't leaked any into my tank yet, darn it!

You know, it totally changed the look of my tank. The tropical tank was my least favorite, but then I stuck it in and BAM! I have a gorgeous tank.

Here's the one I got from aquabid. No tannis leaking and I have to agree it just pretty much completes the look.

Attachments

• image-1339262996.jpg
    image-1339262996.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 86
I love my Mopani. First, it looks awesome. The two tone, gnarled look is great.

Secondly, it's very heavy and sinks right away.

Third, it's safe right away for the tank. You don't HAVE to soak it much. Some people do b/c they hate the tannic look. I don't mind it though. I cleaned it off, soaked it for a few hours and threw it in. It's great.

I'm glad you guys have had so much experience with it, I can't wait to get a piece! I'll definitely get the Mopani since it sinks. What color are the mopanis tannins? Or do they leach different colors depending upon the piece?

Back
Top Bottom