Mopani Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a medium sized piece of mopani driftwood in my 35 g tank. I soaked the wood (which would not sink) for a week prior to putting it in the tank. I changed the water every day. A week after putting it in the tank I noticed some white mold-like substances forming on it. It is easily removed however wanted to know if it was harmful to the water or the tank. I assume it's not a form of algae since the tank is new and the substance is white. Thanks in advance,

Ya, I have no idea what this is, but I had the same thing on two pieces of driftwood that I put in my tank. One piece of driftwood was in an established tank for....4 to 5 years, but then sat outside of water for 2 years.

After rubbing it off with my fingers and scooping up all the big pieces with a net the stuff stopped appearing after about 1 week.

I too would like to know if the stuff is toxic...

I'm quite interested in knowing the answer to your question....

I bought a piece of Mopani wood. It's been soaking in water for the last two weeks (in a bucket, not in the aquarium). I'm trying to soak it for as long as it will "leak" tannins because I found that these change a lot the pH (it lowers it by 0.8!). It hasn't grown any white stuff...

This article suggests how to treat your wood before using it in your tank:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=34

My suggestion to you would be to get the piece out of the tank and boil it for a while, or soak it some more with salty water as suggested in the article. That might kill whatever is growing.

In my only experience with driftwood I had to boil the hell out of the sucker, as it kept leaking tannins. When I was finally tired of boiling (after an hour and a half), I dumped a load of carbon in with the driftwood and let it sit for a few days.

Liggs

Just guck...non-toxic, but ugly and irritating....I find that a good scrubbing under a stream of very hot tap water tends to prevent it.

I have found the white stuff will go away once the piece of wood gets loaded up with a biofilm, but it is not harmful at any rate, just a little unsightly.

I get some of it for the first week or so when putting driftwood in my tanks. It goes away, although I think my plecos actually ate it.

Back
Top Bottom