Mopani vs. Malaysian driftwood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILikeFishesALot36

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My LFS has both types. They are both priced the same. Which do you recommend for me? Going into a 10 gallon tropical.

They're practically the same, both will sink in water, which is a BIG PLUS!

Malaysian DW just has a different look and I find it that they comes in more sizes and shapes that can be "pieced" together to form different patterns.

Just about every Mopani I've ever seen look like a piece of a root broken off, so it they have similar shapes.

I have both in my tank an if you surround them the plants and rocks, they'll all look similar. You really can't go wrong either way.

Im still torn about which to buy. I'm leaning towards mopani but i wanna see what everyone else thinks.

The problem I ran across with Malaysian is $$$$, they tended to be more expensive than Mopani. However, If you have an LFS that has pieces at prices you consider reasonable my recommendation is a few malaysians ... if you can to form some different patterns and a small Mopani ... usually about $9.

Unless you have a larger tank, Mopani's are just too big (even the small sizes) to stack a bunch without taking up swimming space .... IMO.

Im still torn about which to buy. I'm leaning towards mopani but i wanna see what everyone else thinks.

Below is a thread where you'll find a pic of my tank after I added the Malaysian DW. It's on post #17, the pic on the right. I've actually rearranged my DW since that pic, but it basically looks the same. You'll the the taller 4 pieces on the left side, the two pieces across the middle and then the Mopani DW on the right side.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/pics-of-my-barbs-157288-2.html

Hope this helps!

Malaysian driftwood looks sooooooooo much better imo !!

and as mentioned above, there is a greater variety in terms of shapes and sizes. And you can stack them into an interesting configuration.

The last two peices I've bought were Mopani. Only took 24 hours of treating it to avoid discoloring my tank too, which was surprising.

THANKS EVERYONE! I will most likely be getting mopani because I'm only a kid , so I'm no patient enough to wait for Malaysian driftwood to leech out all the tannins before putting it into the tank

Back
Top Bottom