Mopani Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1873teddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a piece of Mopani wood in my 28 us gallon tank & at present am in the process of fishless cycle, previously posted about the cloudiness of the water in the first couple of days, which has now passed, the water has discloured due to the wood, even after soaking for approximately 4 days, will the discolouring pass over time also?

Read several conflicting pieces of information regarding the wood causing fish problems & being good for them.

What is the opinion of the users on this forum?

The tannins should go away with normal water changes, it just takes time. Personally, mine took about 7 weeks with regular PWC's to clear up. Many will tell you on here that tannins aren't really a bad thing. To some, it gives a more natural look to the tank. IMO, I don't care either way. Like I said, it just cleared on it's own with regular PWC's.

I've had Mopani in my tank for approximately 3months.

I soaked it in hot water for 4 days each time the water went cold I refilled with hot. Then added it to my tank.

The Mopani is not colouring my water anymore but it did for around 4weeks.

I perform 50% PWC a week.

My Golden Algae Eaters love hiding under it. I also have some moss attached to my Mopani.

I love the look of it and my pH doesn't alter from 7.4 which is tested with a regularly calibrated digital pH meter.

If you check my started threads in my profile area you will see some pics of my tank.

Jon

Thanks for the info, I'll do regular water changes once the fishless cycle is complete. :)

Back
Top Bottom