Mopani wood questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, im going to do a rescape for my 29g, it will be planted and everything. At my lfs there is a sale going on for a bit on some decent sized mopani wood. Do any of you guys have some tips for scaping with it? I havent really used it before.

I have several pieces. Lots of tannins! To keep my water clean I usually boil it for a bit. And then soak it in old tank water. I’ll change the water weekly for a month. Usually by than the worst of it is over.

Arent tannins good for tropical fish? Maybe not the giant amount that they release in the begining but ive heard that they are.

Some fish they are good. But I raise snails and the tannins can lower the PH and impact snail shell strength.

The shrimp should be fine in that setup. I would monitor the pH, KH, and GH.
I have a blackwater setup and the pH is pretty stable at 7.2 (tap is about 7.4). No snails except for a single Amano. However, the snails (primarily ramshorn) are doing really well. The new shell growth is a nice tortoise shell color as opposed to a crusty white color (that is when they were in a high tech planted tank).

Back
Top Bottom