Moral Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gregcuoz said:
Heres the question.... Why NOT say something?

In that situation I think I'd have to bite my tongue and remember it's none of my business...
I had to walk away a few weeks ago when a father was buying his young daughter a bag of 8 common goldfish...

I worked at my local Petsmart for 3 years as Petcare Lead ( like assistant department manager but not great pay LOL)

I was the Fish Nazi !!

We were taught to sell, but that the animals'/fishes' Welfare was also important !

I'm very passionate about pets. I've gone toe to toe with a customer who DEMANDED I sell her the wrong fish. I started out polite but refused to cave. She asked for a manager. He said I was the expert and my opinion counted. No Fish for her !!!

I was really into Betta and Goldfish education.

I got a family who had killed off about 3 tankfuls of fish in a row to slow down and listen and Not Give Up. They showed up a few months later all smiles and GLEE because they had 30 Cherry Barb Fry !!!

I am still learning daily. I'm 50 and got back into fish 5 years ago. I'm now a member of the oldest and largest Aquatic Plant Club in the USA. I'll be joining my local Aquarium Societies this year.

I can and do step in, but finding the right approach is key as has been mentioned. Sometimes I'm ignored. Some are rude. But I've saved Pets' lives and that makes it worthwhile.
I tell the ones who won't listen, " Please just go home and Google it if you wont believe me".

One LFS employee asked me to open a store so he could work for me LOL.

Lastly I went around to other stores and let them know that when I worked at Petsmart we sent them a ton of business. If we didn't carry something and they did I wanted to A. Help customer B. keep LFSs in business.

When I was at petsmart a woman was buying tetras for her sons tank. She had just put in the conditioner into the water the day before. The sales girl refused to sell the woman any fish until the tank cycled. It became quite the heated debate. The woman finally calmed down when the sales lady explained that the fish would die and it will be a waste of money. That waiting a week for the tank to cycle would save her money in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom