Moral Dillema, Fish too big!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhs9831

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I am going to sound like a big baby, but Im really quite sad and bothered and need help. When I first started with aquariums, my first fish was just a plain old goldfish. He was a baby when I got him, that was a little over 2 years ago. As he grew I kept getting bigger and bigger aquariums for him because I got quite attached to the little guy and wanted him to be happy. BUT I have spent so much on him, and dont know that I can spend more. He is now close to a foot long, and in a 30 gallon aquarium. I really dont want to part with him, but for his sake, I think its the right thing to do. I feel as if I am abusing him keeping him in there. Aside from that hes becoming really agressive with his tank mates (at that size aquarium he probably shouldnt have any I know) He was never much of a digger until recently, and hes tearing the hell out of the tank. Now my problem is, I need to get rid of him so he can have a better home, but how? I know its not a good idea to release him into the wild, but there is a place called mirror lake here in Columbus at Ohio State that is full of Goldfish like him.. still probably not a good idea, scratch that.... so I have had some tell me, take him to the LFS and they will take him. Thats an option, but I usually buy my fish online because theirs look sickly, and I hate to put him in a store to be sold where I wouldnt shop myself. Hell probably get sick. Then the other option I have heard is to Euthanize him, by putting him in a container with water and placing it in the freezer. It is supposedly "humane" method, but I dont know if I can do that. Does anyone have advice? This is making me emotionally unstable, I am about to go get prozac!

Do you have a yard or a large deck of any sort? You could go to a Home Depot or some place with lawn supplies and such and buy a big 60-70+ gallon plastic tub. He should be able to live happily in that and I don't think those tubs are too expensive.

My mother in law does this. On her tiny apartment deck she has like a 70 gallon tub. She's got two koi/comets and 3 fancy goldfish (One I gave her, I rescued it from a 5 gallon tank, two years old and under 3 inches :(). It also contains a one foot common pleco that I gave her, because I had to rescue him from the Tropheus that shared his tank. He's healthy and cleaned all the algae out of that tub now :)

Except for the one I gave her, all her "Happy boys" are oscar survivors. They managed to escape my father-in-laws two oscars long enough that they were removed and put in the tub.

Wow I didnt know a fish club existed! Ill definately check that out. Thanks.

Ferret,

I have no yard or deck, Im in an apartment, although I have several of those tubs... you just gave me an idea though, thanks.

Ya I have the tubs already.. but space is the concern. I have contacted the local fish club thats to all of your advice and I think I have a prospect. Thank you for your advice!

If you haven't found a taker yet, Aquabid.com is a good place to try too. Or, you could do what I finally did to get rid of a few fish--I called every pet store within a 20 mile radius until I found one to take my fish.

Back
Top Bottom