More fish for my 8 gallon tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocncheffy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I have 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 5 Cherry Shrimp, and 2 Nerite snails but I'm currently looking to add more to my tank. Could you offer any suggestions on what I can pick up? Thinking of getting an active bottom feeder, possibly a Panda Cory?

Thanks!

Attachments

• rsz_img_1468.jpg
    rsz_img_1468.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 97
Currently I have 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 5 Cherry Shrimp, and 2 Nerite snails but I'm currently looking to add more to my tank. Could you offer any suggestions on what I can pick up? Thinking of getting an active bottom feeder, possibly a Panda Cory?

Thanks!

In an 8 gallon you are limited. Yiur black skirts probably are too cramped in there. What is the footprint?

Thanks!

Those tetras really need a 20g. I'd replace with ember tetras and I wouldn't put anymore in :)

The cory cat fish are better with at least 2 or more . You should get bigger tank

that is the fluval shrimp tank that came with everything you need for the shrimps. and dont be surprised if you dont see your shrimps in a couple of weeks if they dont show up. that tank was meant for shrimps only!!!

that is the fluval shrimp tank that came with everything you need for the shrimps. and dont be surprised if you dont see your shrimps in a couple of weeks if they dont show up. that tank was meant for shrimps only!!!

It's actually the fluval planted tank:). Everything for a planted tank:). Which I find it a waste of money if you only have java moss. Its good enough as is for harder plants like HC (dwarf baby tears).

I'd rehome the tetras. They belong in a bigger tank. You can either leave it as a RCS tank or you can get-
1-2 dwarf puffers
Celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasboras)
Ruby red tetras
Scarlet badis

Definetly rehome the tetras.
Any shrimp will work.
You could also have ember tetras, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, some dario species, chilli rasborra, green neon tetras, and the list goes on. Personally depending on how many plants you have I would either try breeding rcs and scarlet badis, or do a school of one of the tetras or rasborra, rcs, and 2 of either sparklers or scarlets.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/a-friendly-reminder-about-tact-215028.html

Even if it is the tank that is meant for shrimp, that doesn't mean you can't keep fish in there.

It's actually the fluval planted tank:). Everything for a planted tank:). Which I find it a waste of money if you only have java moss. Its good enough as is for harder plants like HC (dwarf baby tears).

I'd rehome the tetras. They belong in a bigger tank. You can either leave it as a RCS tank or you can get-
1-2 dwarf puffers
Celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasboras)
Ruby red tetras
Scarlet badis

Whether YOU find it to be a waste of money to keep java moss in this tank is completely irrelevant, as it is not your tank. Not everyone wants to keep higher light plants.

I would agree that black skirts are not the most appropriate choice for an 8 gallon tank. Celestial pearl danios are a good suggestion, but can be difficult to find and somewhat expensive. Ember tetras are usually easier to find, and cheaper. A few panda or pygmy cory cats will do fine in there.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/a-friendly-reminder-about-tact-215028.html

Even if it is the tank that is meant for shrimp, that doesn't mean you can't keep fish in there.

Whether YOU find it to be a waste of money to keep java moss in this tank is completely irrelevant, as it is not your tank. Not everyone wants to keep higher light plants.

I would agree that black skirts are not the most appropriate choice for an 8 gallon tank. Celestial pearl danios are a good suggestion, but can be difficult to find and somewhat expensive. Ember tetras are usually easier to find, and cheaper. A few panda or pygmy cory cats will do fine in there.

IMO panda cories are too large for this tank. Pygmies would be great however!

Not much different than keeping them in a 10, which I've done many times.

So the general reply in this thread is my tank is too small for Black Skirts.. They seem like they're happy and eat without issues. They do seem to chase each other quite a bit though.. is that a symptom of a small tank?

So the general reply in this thread is my tank is too small for Black Skirts.. They seem like they're happy and eat without issues. They do seem to chase each other quite a bit though.. is that a symptom of a small tank?

Possibly. They are notoriously nippy. They need to be kept in large groups due to this fact. In a tank that small you cant really provide the numbers they need or the swimming space.

Plus they are rather large bodied as far as tetras go.. Even if they weren't nippy, they would still need some extra space because of how large they are... Now smaller tetras like neons/cardinals etc would be fine in that tank :)

I wouldn't put cardinals in that tank simply because they are more active than neons, and grow a little larger IME. For schooling fish I do think it is important to stick to the really small ones like ember tetra, cpd, etc. Sparkle eye white cloud would be a good choice too. I think someone up-thread mentioned sparkling gouramis, that's a good idea as a centerpiece type fish.

Back
Top Bottom