More (I'm Sure) Filter media Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I had been using a HOB filter since I started my tank over a year ago, but just switched to a Fluval 406. I took out the carbon packets and put the filter 'bag' from the HOB in its place to seed it. It's been going on a month now, and I'm starting to consider what i should put in its place, and I'm looking for suggestions. Right now the 406 is set up as follows:

* White coarse foam pads ->
* seeding material ->
* black bio foam ->
* per-filter AND biomax discs ->
* a sandwich of polishing pad, purigen ( in a nylon pouch ), and another polishing pad.

The only thought I had was to separate the biomax and pre-filter discs into individual chambers, but wanted to see what others suggested. Also, is the rule of never changing anything out until its falling apart still valid for the various media? All I know is the purigen does need to be recharged from time to time.

Thanks as always!

Pretty much anything would work IMO. Or you could just leave it in there. Yep, don't replace anything unless it's literally falling apart. Once a month I rinse out the filter media in old tank water during a water change, but I have yet needed to replace anything (except for the polyfloss pads to polish the water which need to be replaced regularly) and I've had my canister up for a while.

How 'regularly'? A set time, or as I notice cloudier water than normal? What has worked best for you?

Back
Top Bottom