More Sand substrate questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i have placed play sand in my 12 gallon eclipse tank about three weeks ago. Ever since my PH has been very high. does sand raise PH? and also i have had my water turn cloudy and yellow about twice every week. I have a piece of drift wood in there that i have boiled many times. so i know its not realeasing any tannins in the water. I dont have any live plants in that tank either. what to do......

Regular pool filter sand or play sand should not increase the pH. Have you tested it?

The yellowish tint would be tannins being released from the driftwood. Do you know what type of driftwood you have? Some types, even though your boil them, will always release tannins.

yes i have. the sand did not fizz or bubble. the piece of wood i have is malaysian.... my water is turning darker by the day. i have placed a new filter in the eclipse system and also did a 50% water change. before i went to work it was clear when i came home it was already turning yellow.....

AC may or may not help. It's pretty much a hit or miss. I've heard of people boiling and boiling and boiling and using AC but it still had tannin colored water. But then I've read of experiences where people have addd the AC and it's helped.

You're not giving me much hope here with the new piece of Malaysian driftwood that I have. :D

I changed the AC two weeks ago. and its already yellow. It couldnt be the sand would it? I washed it out really really good before placing it in the tank.....

If the sand has dirt in it, that would cloud the water, but then settle out. Wood normally lowers pH, so the sand may have something to do with it. What type of sand is it?
Boiling wood helps eliminate tannins, but will not get rid of all of them.
When you say your water is turning darker, is it getting yellower?

Back
Top Bottom