More silliness @ LFS...or am I missing something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
LFS tested my water. I had planned to do a pwc later that day, and I figured there would be some nitrates present. Their statement to me: "You didn't have any ammonia or nitrites. Your nitrates are about 20 ppm. You really need to finish your cycle before adding any fish."

This follows them telling me a few times that they had never heard of cycling with pure ammonia, and that my tank can't possibly finish cycling until I add fish.

Are these people pretty clueless, or am I just missing something?

Their statement to me: "You didn't have any ammonia or nitrites. Your nitrates are about 20 ppm. You really need to finish your cycle before adding any fish."

Considering that a cycle is complete when those parameters are found, I wouldn't hesitate to say these folks are completely clueless. Did they tell you what to look for in order for your cycle to be complete...say 40ppm nitrates?

That's what I thought. But unfortunately, I have to play along if I want a good deal on my roseline sharks. They are the only place in town that will give them to me for $19.99, but their return policy is horrible: they require a water test before buying the fish (which would be fine if they had a clue what the heck they are supposed to look for), and they only return within 24 hours.

What worries me the most about their policy is that, even though I live 15 minutes away, my ph is higher than theirs, and they are freaked out by the fact that I have a 7.8 ph. My outside research, and responses to my posts on this board have both indicated that 7.8, while a little high, should still be fine for most community fish, and that I should not add anything to the tank because the likely resulting swings I will get will do much more damage. I guess I could add a natural buffer, like peat moss. I just don't know where to put it. (the Whisper that came with the tank doesn't have much spare space at all)

Good question. I don't really know. But of course, they won't guarantee their fish unless the conditions are "optimal." (in principle, that's a valid position, but not how they apply it) Since they have something I want, I must play along.

Oh, and in response to your earlier post, I do have a complete test kit (AP liquid 4-in-1).

WoW, they are clueless. So, what parameters are they looking for before they will sell you the roselines? Your tank sounds perfectly cycled to me, but without a supply of organics the bacteria will probably start to die off.

bosk1 said:
Good question. I don't really know. But of course, they won't guarantee their fish unless the conditions are "optimal."

Sounds like a great way for them to defraud people out of credits on dead fish. Next time bring them some distilled water to test. :twisted:

If a fish dies, make sure your water is fine, then sneak a sample of their water and let them test it and have it fail, then "Oops, that was your crappy water-here is mine!" If your water tests better than theirs, they can't complain.

Hmm...might not be a bad idea. I don't know if you read about my previous fiasco with them. It turned out they were actually right in the long run about a red flag I should have caught, but the way they handled it totally put me off. In short, their test kit appeared to show some trace nitrites, but had faded because they waited too long to show it to me. When the guy brought it out to show me, and then realized it had faded to powder blue again, instead of letting me look at it for myself, he quickly searched around and then ran to one of the marine tanks with a bright blue background (key fact), held the vial up right against the glass so there was no way I could look at it without any background but bright blue, and then basically said "see, this isn't the right color for zero nitrites."

I know what you mean bosk. I purchased a Bristlenose Pleco from the lfs. It was dead the next morning. I went back to the lfs and they said that my pH was at 6.8 and that's why it died. They said they would not refund my money beacuse the pH was .2 too low. Even after arguing they still would not refund my money. Since then we have stopped purchasing there. But they pretty much do as they please. We had an African Cichlid die a day after he was purchased. We had crushed coral in the filter to raise the pH to 7.8. When I took it back to the lfs they told me that the pH was .8 too high. 8O

Apocalypse_Gold said:
If a fish dies, make sure your water is fine, then sneak a sample of their water and let them test it and have it fail, then "Oops, that was your crappy water-here is mine!" If your water tests better than theirs, they can't complain.

Ooohhhh I like that one! Ask them to test their water in front of you and make sure a manager is present. If their parameters are equal or less than yours you've got them cold! Is it a chain or a private lfs? If it is a chain you can contact a regional manager.

I would probably test their water your self to find out how far off their water params are from yours. Consider this because if your water is too different from theirs, you could have problems with fish that are sensitive to change.

My Nitrates are almost always around 40ppm ... even with all my plants ... i wouldn't get too hung up on 20.

Back
Top Bottom