more Synodontis questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Synodontis species experience needed

I've been checking out some Synodontis for scavenging in my hap/peacock tank. I've seen references to S. multipunctatas and some to ocillifer. I've also seen petricola and nyassae metioned. The S. angelicus is a nice one I've seen on other sites. Can you mix Synodontis species easily? Are there any problems associated with keeping mixed Synodontis? Any experience with Synodontis is appreciated.

I have two Synodontis nigriventris in my 46 gallon. No problems at all. They need a varied diet. I don't see them that often, because they hide in the cave during the day.

Most synodontis are ok with rift-lake cichlids, and most of them are ok with each other. If the tank is too small then the males may well squabble over territory but if you have plenty of hidey holes it should be ok.

If you have spawning cichlids I'd avoid the S.mulitpunctatus, they are called cuckoo catfish after their habit of laying their eggs amongst spawning cichlids. Their eggs are them scooped up and brooded with the cichlid eggs. The catfish hatch first and eat the cichlid eggs, growing up in the safety of the parent cichlids mouth.

Check this profile: Cuckoo synos and the video at the bottom is great :)

I'm not planning on breeding them. I'll just wait and see what kinds of synos I can get at the pet store. Probably multis and maybe an ocellifer.

Some Synodontis species can take a definite dislike to other species. I've got a gorgeous Synodontis brichardi in my 100 gallon tank that shares the space with Bichirs and Bush Fish. When I added a similarly-sized Synodontis soloni it was all-out warfare for two days until the two cats reached an uneasy truce. Now they occupy opposite ends of the tank and only squabble when they meet in the middle.

-Joe

Can Synodontis catfish be mixed with clown loaches? Does anyone have this mix?

I have 5 young clown loaches with 2 synodontis nigriventris and they get along fine. Clowns are pretty peaceful - as are synodontis.

Back
Top Bottom