more tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BiggDaddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i wound up acquiring some more fish, either i take them or they go down the drain. And that's not happening, so to give you an idea i started with 1 Dwarf blue gourami, 5 neon tetras, and 1 bala shark, as of the past 4 days i now have 2 Dwarf Blue Gourami, 1 Blood Red Gourami, 1 Bala Shark, 14 Neon Tetra, 2 Golden Plecos, and 1 Dalmation Molly

Wow! That sounds like a pretty well stocked 25 gal but you have some in each area. I am sure it is an active community. :)

You might have to rehome the bala shark (or upsize your tank) at some point but otherwise I think that is an interesting blend. :)

yea it's looking really good, i think !!! very active but not stressful... i can't wait to start the live plants in it. i will post some pics when i do a water change this weekend. ( the water is kind of green right now because i treated the tank not long ago...LOL) I really like the molly, its a weird looking little guy. The Bala hasn't grown at all in the past 6 months....but if he does that will be my excuse to get a bigger tank.haha.

IMO, that is a slightly overstocked tank and I see alot of possible future aggression problems. I'd be worried that the bala hasn't grown any, it would likely be a sign that it has become stunted already.

Also, watch the gouramies, dwarf gouramies are extremely aggressive towards each other once they have territories established and the max you should really do in a tank that size is 2 because the third will be stuck in the middle of the two territories and beaten alot. Seeing as they get 14-16 inches and are a schooling fish, they really need a big tank. Why are all the neat fish so big?

Another possible aggression is that from your description, it makes it look like you have 2 albino bristlenose plecos or white gibbies and the BN are aggressive to members of their own kind and gender, but if you have a female and a male there is a good chance that you will soon be overstocked, I knew someone with over 300 ABN in her 75 gallon tank because they wouldn't stop breeding and she couldn't catch them fast enough. Gibbies, or Sailfin plecos get mostrously huge, about 18-24 inches and won't turn down the possibility of a sleeping fish for a midnight snack.

Happy to see you upped your neon school, 14 is a really nice number and I bet they prefer it alot more!

well what will i do with the fish???? i was told that the dwarfs are not that aggressive !! ahhhhh what to do now??

The only gouramies that can really do well with each other are the honey's and croaking/sparkling IME. A guy I know tried 3 male dwarf gouramies in his 37 gallon tank and the one in the middle always got attacked untill he had to remove it to treat it for a partially ripped off anal fin. While I have heard that male and female dwarves get along better, females are near impossible to find anywhere.

Dwarves aren't very agressive compared to other larger gouramies, my golds could never settle a territorial argument peacefully, always fought over food etc. I have a picture somewhere of them actually fighting over a tubifex cube.

Do you have a fish store anywhere that would accept your fish, you might be able to get some store credit out of the exchange. Or put up an ad in your local craigslist to see if anyone can get them, a friend of mine up in seattle gets some of his fish off of craigslist.

Your fish may do fine together, they may not. You have to watch them and see what they do. If there are aggression issues you may have to take some to your lfs. I have had dwarf gourami's together in tanks with no problems. I have also had some others that wouldn't get along. Every fish is different.

Being a molly fan I'm just feeling bad for your one dalmation molly. From what I know I think mollies prefer fellow molly friends. Although I guess its probably fine.

Nice video! :) I think like Zagz said, you have to watch them, sometimes they do fine. Be ready to solve the problem should one arise. I have kept several species of gouramis together peacefully, it's just like with all animals some are aggressive, some are not within the same species. Just watch them and be aware that future aggression is possible and you may want to have your duck in a row with a plan just incase that should happen. It is definitely good to listen to all others experiences though, and then make up your own mind based on the observations of your own fish. That is what is so great about a forum like this.
Do be aware that the behavior of a juvenile fish is often different from an adult so things might be fine for months and then one day....chaos begins. :) Part of the mystery and charm of a community tank IME.

Back
Top Bottom