More Tiger Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Two months ago I lost 2 tiger barbs and 2 neon tetras to some mysterious illness. I now have 4 barbs, 4 serpea tetras, 1 neon, 1 dwarf fame gourami, and 1 common pleco in a 20 gallon tank. I dont think I will be replacing the neons, but i would like to add more barbs. Question is I've had these barbs for almost 3 years now and they are much larger than any I'm going to find at my LFS. Do you think it would be wise to introduce some new smaller barbs to my older much larger school? Btw does anyone know the average lifespan of tigerbarbs? TIA

tiger barbs can live quite a few years...I wanna say the oldest I've heard is 6 years, but I believe that was from birth.

It seems like whenever I tried to add small barbs to my adults (who I've had for 2 years) they always seemed to not get enough food, and died after a couple months :(

Also, barbs are such active swimmers, I wouldn't wanna crowd too many into a 20gallon. I really feel a 29gal is the minimum size for adults.

So I'd say keep it at 4.

I know my local petsmart sells small tiger barbs in one tank and then much bigger more mature ones in another tank. So if you find that your school is too small and they bothering the gourami check out petsmart for some bigger ones.

I'm thinking about moving the gourami to my new 29 gallon. I never see him getting picked on by the other fish, but he just doesnt seem happy. He has lost alot of color since i got him, and I think just the activity of the barbs and tetras make him nervous. He spend all of his time hiding. I hardly ever see him.

Gouramis get very large and need a bigger tank than a 29 gallon. Ive kept gouramis in a 60 gallon with a sorts of schooling fish and it was thriving in there.

yeah i wouldn't add smaller barbs with adult barbs, they do get bullied out of ood alot and usually die, if you can buy some bigger barbs

Back
Top Bottom