Moss balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Moss" Balls are actually a type of algae - they are extremely slow growers, however, so they really have no use in controlling ammonia or nitrates.

I've found them pretty useful in removing nitrates/ammonia. But I've thought that thy seemed like algae a bit.

I've found them pretty useful in removing nitrates/ammonia. But I've thought that thy seemed like algae a bit.

The growth speed of a plant determines how many nutrients are absorbed. Moss balls are very slow growers, so they don't take in many nutrients - not affecting ammonia or nitrates much. Same goes for other low-light slow growers such as anubias, java ferns, etc. That is why many people opt for plants like hornwort, anacharis, and wisteria when trying to remove nitrates - they grow super fast, taking in much more than slow grower would.

The growth speed of a plant determines how many nutrients are absorbed. Moss balls are very slow growers, so they don't take in many nutrients - not affecting ammonia or nitrates much. Same goes for other low-light slow growers such as anubias, java ferns, etc. That is why many people opt for plants like hornwort, anacharis, and wisteria when trying to remove nitrates - they grow super fast, taking in much more than slow grower would.

Ohhh. That'll help me a lot when I choose the plants for my tank. :D
Thanks for the info.

Bolded for emphasis. Slow growers don't absorb that much for nutrients. "Fast growers" in low light/low resource environments don't absorb much either. Potential + Resource = growth = consumption. If it takes years to become the size of a grapefruit, it's not growing particularly fast.

Bolded for emphasis. Slow growers don't absorb that much for nutrients. "Fast growers" in low light/low resource environments don't absorb much either. Potential + Resource = growth = consumption. If it takes years to become the size of a grapefruit, it's not growing particularly fast.

Yeah my tank has med- low area of high light. So fast growers should be good. Are water lettuce considered fast growers? And yeah I know it takes years. I've read about them :).

Water lettuce is probably one of the fastest growers because it can use atmospheric CO2 rather than the CO2 found in the water. It's actually outright banned in some areas because it's such an invasive weed.

Water lettuce is probably one of the fastest growers because it can use atmospheric CO2 rather than the CO2 found in the water. It's actually outright banned in some areas because it's such an invasive weed.

Oh really? But yeah my wl has been growing like crazy in my pond and I just have to sell them dirt cheap.....
And yeah some areas it's banned or you need a license. I believe Florida is one state.

Back
Top Bottom