Moss trees!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's a few different ways to prepare driftwood and I was just curious on how YOU do it, and where you get yours, what type of wood you like etc. I'm trying to make a moss tree so suggestions on the type of moss will help me a lot as well. Also what do you think of this guy's tutorial...(
) will this work? Can you use silicone instead of super glue? Would fishing line work better? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right the first time if you know what I mean. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did fishing line but it takes ALOT of fishing line. Can look tacky for awhile but it also depends on your moss. Some moss holds together easier than others.

I used christmas moss. It stays together very well. I suggest it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did fishing line but it takes ALOT of fishing line. Can look tacky for awhile but it also depends on your moss. Some moss holds together easier than others.

I used christmas moss. It stays together very well. I suggest it.

do you have a picture a your tree? where did you get your christmas moss? can I use plan old oak wood from my yard?

besides drift wood what else could be the base of the tree? i cant find any of the drift wood I am looking for :( I want something thin with little branches. There's lots of twigs like that in my yard is there a way I could make those aquarium safe (live oak) ?

As long as you can't press your fingernail in it its fine. Scrub it off(in your case gently because twigs) then boil it. Boiling will remove any nasties in it.

Caleb

People use multiple small branches ziptied together to make trees often, because as you're finding out, a good base is hard to find

I found 2 pieces of malaysian driftwood. The base of the tree was a solid stump, and the top of the tree was a spider wood style of malaysian driftwood piece. I just connected the two together...

Simply tied the Christmas moss all over in different parts of the tree branches... and let it grow all over

You can use Popular tree, Sycamore tree, Oak, Walnut, CHerry wood just to name a few in tanks. I used Java moss and plastic canvas on Sycamore branches for my first trees. I have some old pictures on my user page if you want to check them out. I used fishing line to attach the moss. Silicone would work but it takes a long time to dry.

I'm a bit worried about the twigs since I do not want them rotting. is there anything I could seal them with?

Back
Top Bottom