most compatible community fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I’m interested in knowing which fish would be the most compatible fish across the most community combinations. It could be a solitary fish or a school of fish of the same species. Which species is most likely to thrive across most tropical freshwater situations and also let the tankmates thrive as well. My answer to this is a school of 4 -5 cherry barbs. They will fit well in most any sized tank, they are very hardy, and they leave other fish alone. What say you?

Maybe this is better in the general discussion? :?

I would have to say a small school of corydora. The most peaceful fish on the planet, and fun to watch.

Felf said:
I LOVE pleco's :D

I would say corries as well, however I think large schools of neons or rummy nose tetras are very compatible as well.
-Stewie

Weather loaches should really go in a cold-water tank although they can do fine at higher temps, and plecos can get too big for many tanks, although you might get lucky as there're so many species under the name "pleco" with all the L#s. For the "fish that can go in almost any tank", bristlenose pleco is a very good choice. Very cool looking, provides algae-eater function, won't bother the smallest of fish, and won't get eaten by the biggest. Only drawback is it may hide all the time in an improperly decorated tank. I think "one-of" species are in theory better votes for "best community fish" as schooling fish are more a commitment, and a bad idea for someone wanting to add just that one more species to their heavily-stocked community tank. Personally, I don't like tanks with 1 tetra, 2 barbs, 1 danio, etc. Just my 5 cents. :)

Back
Top Bottom