Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Most original question ever (what to stock) ;)

OK, I'm sure you've seen this question a million times, so I'll try to at least be specific. Basically I want the color and beauty of a saltwater tank without the maintenance. I just really dont have time to do SW right. So what I want is to put together a beautiful FW tank that maybe has some elements of SW. For example, I think using more driftwood and rocks and fewer leafy plants would help achieve this look for me. I think I can also work with the color of the gravel too. I was thinking white gravel. I was also considering a cichlid tank because of the variety and color. I am either looking at a 29 gallon tank or a 35 gallon hex. I like a lot small to medium fish so are there any cichilds small or am I barking up the wrong tree with that? Basically I want a lot of color and contrast and I want to be able to put in bottom cleaner fish etc. without them getting attacked. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I guess your question depends on what type of cichlid you want to keep, either African Rift Lake or South American.

With the SA's, driftwood, rocks and leafy plants are the way to go. Most, if not all of the SA dwarf species are shy and like to have plenty of hiding places.

Your substrate choice is good...the contrasts can be striking with any cichlid.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I want whatever looks best but is easy (relatively, that is. I'm not totally disinterested or I wouldn't be doing it. Just dont have infinite time). What is the difference between African and SA cichilds (other than several thousand miles).

Fish - (4) Rosy Tetras, (5) Zebra Danios, (4) Platies, (3) Rainbows, (5) Albino Cories, (2) Ottos

Plants - Micro Swords, (2) Rotala, (2) Camboba

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

CO2 - DIY generator with Hagen diffusor
imahawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The Rift Lakes cichlids prefer a higher alkalinity (ph) where the SA's prefer acidic (lower ph).

If you go with the Africans, you need to know that not all of them can be housed together...in some cases, you can only keep a specific species...you may not even be able to keep several in the same tank due to size, aggression issues.

With the SA dwarfs, they tend to be more sensitive to changes in their environment but since they tend to be on the small size and can be combined with other community fish, you can keep more in the tank size you have.

I wouldn't think that any of the above fish are "easy" to keep. Maintaining the tank is essential for each region.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

So would a regular community tank be easier than either of the above?

Fish - (4) Rosy Tetras, (5) Zebra Danios, (4) Platies, (3) Rainbows, (5) Albino Cories, (2) Ottos

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sure you can do it...I'm not trying to discourage you. Just wanted to let you know what the differences are.

At most, you will need to monitor the tanks parameters weekly. This includes changing the water at least as often. IMO, a community tank is the same level of ease with just another step.

I would suggest some research into cichlids. You may find that it isn't hard to keep them at all.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've never performed the level of maintenance people cite here and yet I never have had fish die. Do people do a PWC weekly for ALL setups? That seems extreme to me.

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

Old 11-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

ALL setups are not the same. I was referring only to cichlid tanks (the "extra step").

FWIW - I have personal knowledge of a person who kept their goldfish alive w/o weekly or even monthly water changes. This only means that the fish didn't die, doesn't mean that the fish were in the best environment possible.

A healthy debate about the benefits of a regular schedule of water changes has been discussed on this and other forums ad infinitum. In the end, it really depends on the individual.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have African Cichlids, weekly water changes are needed since they are very messy fish and will cause havoc on your Nitrates. In a tank that has a low bio-load, you could get away with changes every two weeks. Cleaner water is always better with fish. The less Nitrates that are showing, the better. Plus, once your Nitrates reach 40, it's harder to get them back down. It's easier to maintain a low Nitrate reading than it is to reduce a high one. I would personally go with S.A. Cichlids over Africans in this situation (yes Bill, I am promoting the S.A. Biotope ). Africans really need at least a 55 gal + tank, 75 gal is a preferred minimum.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

What if I'm not that set on cichlids? Would it be easier to maintain a community tank? I also REALLY like schooling behavior so 7 little fish is more appealing than 2 big ones for example. My thing is I travel for work and I can get my wife to feed fish or get a timer feeder or whatever but if I dont have time to do water stuff EVERY week or even every other week. What would you recomend for a well balanced 35 gal community tank?

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

Tags
stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com