Move my Oto? Getting picked on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 otos a month ago. One died shortly after. The remaining oto has been very timid... and unfortunately also a toy for my angelfish. He has been hiding in the upper back corner of the tank on the heater where she can't find him. He stays there all day. I assume he does prowl at nighttime because he is still alive (so I assume he is eating SOMETHING).
I was hoping the oto would acclimate to his tankmates and bond with the rest of the cleaning crew but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway, last night, the angelfish finally found my oto's hiding place and chased him relentlessly until the angel jumped out of the water in excitement, hit the hood, and ripped her tail. Now the oto is in a lower back corner, laying down against the substrate- looking absolutely terrified.
Should I take this as a clue that he is just NOT going to be happy and healthy in there and move him to my 10gal with the platys and panda cats? Or if I get him a new Oto buddy so he has someone to bond with, will they stand up to the angel?

Thanks very much... I'll move him right now. I don't understand why she is so fascinated with him. She doesn't bother anybody else. *SIGH*

EDIT: (20 minutes later) Oh dear - he isn't doing good at all. He sure didn't put up a fight when I netted him and in the new tank he is sort of laying on the bottom and doesn't look good. *ANOTHER BIG SIGH* Well at least nobody is bugging him. Maybe he'll perk up if he gets some rest. *keeping fingers crossed*

I agree - putting him in the 10 gallon won't overcrowd it and the oto will hopefully bond with the cories a little. I also agree with Rich - I don't have angels, but if your angel chased the one oto, I don't see what would stop her/him from chasing two otos, now that he has "targeted" otos. Good luck and I hope the oto does well in the 10 gallon, and I hope the angel calms down now!

Sorry, didn't see your edit - I guess all you can do is wait and see. Did you acclimate him with water from the 10 gallon tank first or did you just put him in? Hopefully he'll be ok later.

Well that didn't take long - he is gone. I scooped him and had a good look at him - he was pretty beat up. Poor thing. I think he was pretty much dead when I moved him but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try moving him and see if he would recover.

WAAAAAHHH I'm feeling like a bad Fish Mom! :(

Back
Top Bottom