Movin' on up! To the east side....to a deluxe 90G!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've finally convinced my girlfriend and I can get myself a new 90G!

Once I get it in the apartment and cycled I'll move my fish into it. The question I have is this: I have some SA cichlids (Bolivian rams, keyholes, GBRs) that are all small-type. Would it be possible to include maybe some convicts or firemouths in a 90 with the smaller cichlids? Would there be enough room for territorial disputes?

I've recently seen some firemouths available in my area, and you can always find convicts.

I keep 2 convicts, both females, and the one I just got had to be moved because the original female would NOT leave the newcomer alone. She was absolutely relentless, and the females are said to be less aggressive than the males. I also have a firemouth, and it's quite possibly the most aggressive fish I have. It's taken chunks out of my severum's tail numerous times, and the severum is a much bigger fish (and no pacifist himself). In short, there is no way I would try it, even in a 90 gallon. Your dwarf cichlids are much too peaceful and delicate, especially the GBRs. I think they would be harrassed to death eventually. You might be able to get away with it with a juvie con and FM, but once they hit maturity all hell would break loose. A mating pair of cons might even kill the FM too.

What size tank do you currently have? Neither FMs nor cons would need a very large tank if you were keeping them in a species only setup. I would think you could keep a pair of cons in a 20 long (minimum), and a pair of FMs in a 30 (minimum).

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure if the convicts and FMs had lots of space that they would calm down a bit. Oh well, I love my dwarf cichlids too much to get rid of them for convicts. I assume that FMs wouldn't do well with my current fish in a 90 either.

I guess that I'll stock some other small SA cichlids or "fast community" type fish.

Thanks, severum. What a shame, I love the colours on the convicts and FMs.

You could just set up your new tank AND your old tank! :twisted: Then you could maybe have FMs or cons, depending on tank size... your girlfriend's going to kick my butt, isn't she? :lol:

Heh, probably :)

Once I get the 90G in the apartment I may be able to "convince" her. I plan on doing a huge water change from the old tank (a 30G) into the new one, then I might be able to move the old tank into the spare room. It will have to be functional, at least until the 90G is cycled and setup. By that time, if I'm lucky, she'll have fallen in love with the new tank and the old one. Muaaa-ha-ha-ha!!!!! The evil psychology of MTS.

Unfortunately, tank water from your old tank won't do much to get your cycle started, as the bacteria are mostly not free-floating. A couple handfuls of gravel and a filter pad would help a lot more.

You could keep a firemouth in a 30 gallon. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I would love it, but I think I will have to sacrifice the 30G for figure-8 puffers and compatible tankmates. Since day 1 she has loved those.

I plan on moving some plants and aquarium decorations as well as the filter pad to the new tank when it arrives. I'm just going to toss the old filter pad into the tank to let it float freely.

I'm planing on having some rocks on one side, kind of like a rockslide with lots of little caves and flat spots, an open area in the middle with a few plants, and a big piece of driftwood with lots of plants on the other side. I can't wait!!!! It's just like Christmas :)

Back
Top Bottom