Moving 14" long Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coco pebbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I'm in need of some ideas. I'm setting up a cichlid tank to put my common Pleco into. It doesn't fit into any pitchers or bowls around the house anymore so I'm not sure how to move it to the new 75 gallon tank. Any ideas or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Hi everyone,
I'm in need of some ideas. I'm setting up a cichlid tank to put my common Pleco into. It doesn't fit into any pitchers or bowls around the house anymore so I'm not sure how to move it to the new 75 gallon tank. Any ideas or advice would greatly be appreciated.
You really need ideas? Pick it up with your hands and walk it over.

A 5 gallon bucket. If you don't have one, you can usually buy them at hardware or home improvement stores for a couple bucks. Having 2 or 3 that you use only for your tanks is almost a requisite for aquarists.

Come on man, don't criticize people for coming to an advice forum with questions. Especially if you have only been a member for a month and made 3 posts.

You really need ideas? Pick it up with your hands and walk it over.
Furthermore... pretty sure they pack some nasty spines?? I wouldn't touch it.. may have to get creative... maybe get it into a wet towel and move it? Inwouldnt recommend a net with plecos either. God speed sir!

Furthermore... pretty sure they pack some nasty spines?? I wouldn't touch it.. may have to get creative... maybe get it into a wet towel and move it? Inwouldnt recommend a net with plecos either. God speed sir!

The males have spines, and females do not just if you wanted to know. I found that out when I first got my Clown Pleco forever ago and thought the spines were flukes. Freaked me out.

Thank you, the trick is getting him into the bucket. He does indeed have some pretty nasty spines I don't to get in my hand. I might be able to get him into a pitcher or towel momentarily and then into the bucket

Coax him into the bucket but submerging the bucket in the tank. Chase him into it with you hand or a net. Best way to safely do it. Nets are okay, but can potentially harm him if a spine or fin gets caught.

Back
Top Bottom