Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have three fully cycled tanks that have been running great for over six months sizing from a 1.5 fry tank, 15g, and a 55g. All but the fry tank have a variety of fw fish and shrimp. I'm not a green thumb, so all of my plants are fake. I have lots of driftwood. With all the tanks I have 5 filters and three heaters. Here's an overview of my stock: plecos, dwarf gouramis , tons of platys, many different types of cories, otos, rainbow shark, guppies, loaches, ghost shrimp, RCS, YCS

We are moving to a place about an hour and a half away in a couple of weeks. I'm concerned! Here's my plan, and please let me know what you think and any suggestions.

My fry tank fry are all large enough to move into the 15g. It also has adult RCS and two ghosts to help with the clean up. I will acclimate them all into the 15g and shut down the fry tank about a week in advance. I will put the filter media into the 15g filter to keep the BB alive.

On moving day I will syphon out healthy top water from each tank and save it in a 5 gallon bucket. (Is 5 gallons enough for the 55g tank??) In a separate 5 gallon bucket I will put healthy water from the 55g and add the media from all of the filters to preserve the BB.

I have fish shipping bags and have successfully shipped fish before. I was planning on bagging up fish and putting them in boxes like I would to ship them. That includes using a drop or two of Prime in each bag, adding air from the air filter pump, lining the box with foam, and a heat pack per box. I will double bag the larger fish alone and the smaller fish in small quantities.

Then I plan to completely empty the 55 and 15g tanks of water. I'm hoping it's ok to leave the sand substrate, driftwood, decorative rocks, and fake plants in the tanks. Then I was planning to put the empty filters into the tanks along with heaters that have been bubble wrapped. After all that I was planning on wrapping the entire tank with bubble really, really good. We are have professional movers, so then I will pray that the tanks (especially the 55g) arrive at the new house in one piece.

At the new house, I would then add the saved tank water to the tank it belongs to, plus finish filling it up with water and water conditioner. I was planning on using Prime, but is there a better conditioner for nearly un-cycled tanks? Then hook up the filters with the hopefully still alive BB. Then acclimate the fish back into the tank they belong to.

Ok guys, give me your ideas. Will this work? Is anything better? I'm completely open to suggestions because I just want my fish and tanks to survive this move. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a good plan! If you can, remove the driftwood and any heavier decorations, as they might scratch or even crack the tanks in the move. The more water you can save from the 55, the better, but if you keep the gravel a little moist during travel, and preserve the filter media like you were planning, then the majority of the BB should survive the move. Good luck!!

I think your plan is great to be honest. How big are the shipping bags? Do you think they'll have enough air??

It sounds like you have everything all planned out pretty well. Be careful about leaving the gravel or sand in that empty 55 gallon. You don't want to have that pressure on the bottom of your tank.

I would pick up a bottle o special blend. It will help grow the right bacteria in your tank. I think having the gravel and saving some of the water will help, but a little extra cant hurt ether. Good luck and I'd like to know how things turn out.

Attachments

• image-301731001.jpg
    image-301731001.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 50
Ok great! Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I think the bags will give the fish enough air. I have shipped with these bags with no problems, so a two or so hour trip should be nothing compared to that! Plus I bought these nifty "air beads" that I use during shipping. I don't know if they really help or not, but again all of the fish I have shipped arrived in good condition.

I have been wondering how much weight the bottom of the tanks could handle during the move. So I think I will take the advice to remove the driftwood and the large rock, but leave the sand bottom. My sand isn't super thick, so I'm just going to pray.

My move isn't for a few weeks and we will have both the house we live in now and the new place for a bit. I'm not sure exactly when I will be attempting this, but as soon as I know how it turns out, I'll let you guys know.

Again, Thanks everyone!

Update

We moved last weekend as planned. I did everything that I had originally talked about, except I took out more of the sand. I left about an inch in the bottom of each tank, but the rest went into buckets. I was just too worried about the weight cracking the tanks. I am happy to report that all three tanks have no leaks and I didn't lose any fish!!!! One of my platys even had fry two days before the move and all of them survived too! The tanks have been set back up in the new house since midday Friday, so I think I'm in the clear. :)

We moved last weekend as planned. I did everything that I had originally talked about, except I took out more of the sand. I left about an inch in the bottom of each tank, but the rest went into buckets. I was just too worried about the weight cracking the tanks. I am happy to report that all three tanks have no leaks and I didn't lose any fish!!!! One of my platys even had fry two days before the move and all of them survived too! The tanks have been set back up in the new house since midday Friday, so I think I'm in the clear. :)

Nice job. I'm glad you didn't lose anything during your move. I wish I could save this thread so I can find it later. I will be having to move and I want to follow your steps.

The only difference is I have an empty 60 gallon that I will set up before I move fish. I will basically upgrade everything. My fish in my 29 gallon to the 60 and fish from my 10 to the 29.

Oh, gotcha. My way was a lot of work, but it was successful. I even had a platy give birth two days before the move and all of the fry survived too! I just made sure to bag the fish in small quantities so the water quality couldn't get too bad.

Oh, gotcha. My way was a lot of work, but it was successful. I even had a platy give birth two days before the move and all of the fry survived too! I just made sure to bag the fish in small quantities so the water quality couldn't get too bad.

Nice job. I plan on getting everything in two trips. I will put all my fish in bags or buckets of aquarium water. Then move tank and fish to the new place. Then come back for the 10 when I am sure that the 29 is running good.

I used bags that I had gotten when I bought the fish (undamaged and cleaned of course) and I bought some on Ebay, so I had multiple sizes. I don't know how the fish would do in buckets being slashed around. That just sounds stressful... Maybe if you got the buckets as full as possible before putting the lids on them the water wouldn't have as much room to move. But if you put lids on the buckets, wouldn't that take away their oxygen? Anyone else have any ideas?

I used bags that I had gotten when I bought the fish (undamaged and cleaned of course) and I bought some on Ebay, so I had multiple sizes. I don't know how the fish would do in buckets being slashed around. That just sounds stressful... Maybe if you got the buckets as full as possible before putting the lids on them the water wouldn't have as much room to move. But if you put lids on the buckets, wouldn't that take away their oxygen? Anyone else have any ideas?

I looked at some of the bags I bought fish in, and some of them are quite tall and big around. I may be able to use them.

Back
Top Bottom