Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone...I am going to be moving two hours away from my current residence.I have a 55 gallon with 2 oscars.It is all cycled and water is currently at 0 ammonia,0 nitrites and 30 nitrates.My question is what do I do in this situation?What do I need to do to get my aquarium to my new residence without having to cycle again?Thanks in advance AA.

I moved my 55 gal with no problems about 3 months ago and this is what did.
First of all, definitely read that AA article, its a big help.
I changed my gravel, so i just scooped out the old gravel and threw it away (it was an alwful bright blue color and i wanted a natural looking substrate) But i suppose you could keep it wet in a bucket, i used old Cat Litter pails to move all my filter media. (Tidy Cats) I think the key is to keep your gravel and filter media wet so the bacteria doesn't die. So you need something easy to carry with a lid. I then had my husband help me take the aquarium outside and i scrubbed and rinsed it well with just plain water. we haulded it all in the back of my truck, and set it up at the new place.

For the fish, you can use just about anything from a tupperware container to plastic baggies. I used a well rinsed out Tidy Cats bucket agian, filled it half full with the old tank water and put the fish in. I carried them in the front seat on the floor bord right in front of me, because i wanted to make sure it didn't spill or anything.
Of course, we had only moved about 15 minutes down the road, so i was able to set up right away. My filter media took over and even though i had replaced the gravel, i never had a minicycle or anything. It worked out really good with no casualties.
oh, and also... for scooping out the gravel, i foudn that a dustpan is very helpful
Hope my experience is helpful, and good luck :rainbow1:

Back
Top Bottom