moving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ill be coming to get my fish tank on saterday. And well its an 80g tank with alot of fish. and stuff.
this is my plan. but all the fish in buckets 5 gallons.
then get two tuperware containers. and but gravel in one and subtrate in another with old water. Since im due for a waterchange i will keep what i can and just treat it as a water change.
it should take about an hour to get everything back set up.
i should hope. so i will be moving the empty tank.
I will not be adding anything like air pumps or filters to the buckets cause its only 1 hour at the most. a five minute drive. and im hoping i dont lose anything on the way. and i doubt i will cuz everything is pre much the same.
ITs warm out so it i shouldnt need to cool the water.
THe biggest fish is four inches so i can stick to like 3-4 in each five gallong bucket and a few cory cats and minnows.
ill leave the few plants in there without subtrate.
Im hoping this all sounds good.
I cant be without my fish for more then a day. so i want to make sure.
any help will be appriciated and i thank you in advance.

moving

Oh boy, ain't moving fun!!!!! I moved last weekend. It went surprising well, considering the temp was 95. lol You did not mention filter media. Need to keep that wet, for the bacteria to survive. Plastic bags are fine. Live plants can go into bags, or in the buckets with the fish. I did both. If you are going to really scrub your gravel, or change it completely, as I did, might want to get some Biospira. Just to be safe. I saved filter media and maybe 1/3 water. Used the Biospira and had 0 ammonia.

Really the 2 most important things I can think of are: 1. RELAX!! It will work. 2. It will take longer than you think. A natural law of the universe. Projects always take at least twice as long as we think. :D

Good Luck and enjoy the new place!!!!!

re-using the old water shouldn't be neccessary as long as you keep all your decor and filter media wet. i recently changed substrates from gravel to sand and pretty much did it just like you plan on changing tanks. no mini-cycle or anything bad happened and i changed 100% of the water.
one suggestion i do have is to cover those buckets with something! all it would take is one person to pull out in front of you and, even if you're only going 5 mph, slamming on the brakes = all the fishies on the floor...
jeffreyl had great advice.. it WILL take longer than you think, and remember... just relax :)

Sounds about what I was planning to do, just my problem is I have MTS real bad and thus I am moving 4 tanks....soon to be 5...yea I know I need help.

Anyway what you've said is for the most part just what I was planning on doing. Just I plan to use iglue coolers to hold the fish..
1. They are fairly cheap
2. They close so less water / fish spliage
3. They are insalated so the 30 minute car drive will not cause much if any temp issue. I am more worried about keeping the water cool around 70 - 75 then warm because well. NO AC in the back of the truck so it will likly get hot back there. (Ford with a cab)

Good luck to you. I move in 1 week from today.

And I really do suggest the cooler or chest cooler

lids

Lids!! Oh yeah! Don't want to forget those. Though you likely already have em. Even driving careful, well, careful for I77 & I485 in Charlotte that is, the lids were wet when I opened them.

Good point on the insulated coolers. We were moving in high heat, but the fish went the next day by AC'd vehicle. So temp was okay. But if in doubt, coolers are a great idea. May the fish gods smile on both of you. :wink:

lol well i know about the filter. but lids i was just going to use some plastic of some sort for the buckets like tin foil or seran wrap cause i they didnt sell lids with the buckets.would that work.
i have 80g and 30g and 2.5 gallong to move tomorrow. so well im leaving everything in the thirty. and the 2.5 but my 80 has my precious discus so i dont want to stress them more then i have too so thanks for any advice given

re-using the old water shouldn't be neccessary as long as you keep all your decor and filter media wet

I agree as long as the filter media stays wet. Try to replicate temps and I am sure everything will go fine!

Projects always take at least twice as long as we think.

aint that the truth!!!!

I am not sure if I read your thread correctly because I am VERY tired, however try to mimic everything for the Discus.

Good Luck and let us know!

I'm glad to have already read some success stories of people who have moved recently.

I'll moving next weekend myself.....about 20-25mins away from where I am now. I have to move a total of 6 tanks with fish in them (30g/10g/10g/7g/5.5g/1g), 1 empty 29gal tank that just finished cycling, and a completely empty 55gal.

I'm going to try to get the empty tank (29gal) set up first since I'll be consolidating fish from the 2-10gal tanks and 7gal tank into that one. The pain is going to be moving the 30gal planted tank. There are a decent amountof plants in it and a lot of fish. I'm not looking forward to that at all...

k so there in the buckets being acclimated now. the water was so dirty from subtrate i left it for an extra hour to be sure.
so far i lost one minnow. (feederfishnot to worried)but when i was catching my fish i couldnt find one of my yo yo loaches. Very dissapointed. dont know where he is. maybe dead in one of my decorations.
IM still setting the decorations and stuff up. all discus look good and my male ram so far. we worked hard and fast just disappointed i couldnt put them in sooner.
My sick discus Whose usually black was slightly colored now almost white. hes swimming around fast and happy in his little bucket? dont know why but hes super happy in there.
ill be back in a hour to keep you updated

when i changed substrate's i "lost" an oto, and he showed up the next day. was hiding in some wood, i guess. hope your guy shows up! sounds like you did good on the move!

yes but i had No water no nothing in the tank but subtrate. so unless hes hiding under there hes gone.
we cleaned out the decorations and what not. So he dissapeared. lol.
As for my other fish all are fine and happy. were eating within a few hours of being put in the tank. they were begging for food.
No other fish losses. I had found one cory cat that looked like his head was smashed in and had internal bleeding. so i have him in a becel container
so any ideas on fixing him or not.
Oh and all fish have there full colors. so glad.
Thanks for all your guy's help. :)

Wonderful

Great news on the move!!!!! I am sorry about your loach and cory, hope the little guy makes it. But honestly, if you can move fish with so little damage, you done good!!!! Enjoy the new home!!

Back
Top Bottom