Moving a 55 Gallon Planted Tank - Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to move a 55 Gallon Planted Tank about 1 foot. I dont trust the stand enough to just scoot the tank. I guess that will half the water drained, it will still come in at around 360 lbs including the stand. That is still a substantial amount of weight. Would it be ok to put all 25 of my fish into 1 5 gallon bucket, then drain all the rest of the water (saving around 20 more gallons to put back in), move the tank, then put it all back? I didnt know if storing all those fish in a small bucket for a hour or so would be a bad idea.

TIA.

I'd get one or two of the bigger plastic totes, put in water from your tank and move the fish over.
Drain all but about a inch of water from the 55 and move it. Refill with all new water. I wouldn't worry about savings any.

I would use more buckets because with that kind of crowding, your fish may get scared and want to jump out.

The fish will be fine in a bucket or two. I just changed substrate in one of my tanks and the little guys were in a cooler for a few hours. No need to save water since your tap and the water in the tank should be the same. Just check the temp in the bucket before returning the fish. If there is a major temperature difference, you may need to acclimate the fish back into the tank.

I'll echo Rich as I did the very same thing, the only difference is I used a tub (see pic) and placed all the fish and plants in it. This was for a 75g that was heavily planted.

Attachments

• tankredofeb2007_001_133.jpg
    tankredofeb2007_001_133.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 27
izzycomosy said:
Hey Jchillin where did you get the holding tank I would luv to get one of these

Looks like a standard Rubbermaid container. You can pick them up at hardware stores or even mega shopping stores like Target.

The Rubbermaid tubs (and knock offs) make great quarantine tanks as well. The square sides will hold a HOB filter, and you can buy up to a 50 gallon for very little money at a discount store.

sorry I have not replied sooner but my husband was rushed into hospital, but he is fine now and back home. I had a look on the link but they dont seem to look like jchillin holding tank I thought his was a collapsable one? where is the picture he had on this link?

Back
Top Bottom