Moving a freshwater tank. Keep the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We're moving soon, and I'm starting to stress about moving my tank. The move is not far, about 40 minute drive. Tank is 20 gallon with ember tetras, black widow tetras, bristlenose pleco, and some khuli loaches.

I've been reading lots of forum posts and articles of advice on how to move and I notice some people recommend you "move as much of the tank's water as you can". But they don't explain why! :)

I'm planning to put the fish in a big cooler, plants and filter media in a bucket, and take out all the gravel and rocks before moving the tanks. So far I've not been able to find battery powered pumps but since it's such a short move I'm not sure I need them. I hope that I can set up a barrel of water to get up to temp in our new house so that I can set up the tank as quickly as possible once we're there. Should I also be trying to move "old" water from the tank as well?

The tanks water should have beneficial bacteria in it ... I'm not an expert so I can't go into detail, but hopefully someone else will .... But basically the water in your tank right now, is fish friendly.... If you use all new water, then your tank will have to cycle all over again and probably kill off some of your fish until the bacteria builds back up ..... If I were you, I'd get maybe 1 or 2, 5 gallon buckets of tank water and put your fish in those when you move.... That way you have fish transportation and 50% of the original tank water

There isn't much beneficial bacteria in your water column at all. Nearly all of your beneficial bacteria is in/on your filter media, substrate, and decor. Keep all of these things wet and oxygenated so the bacteria doesn't die and you should be fine.
I think your fish should be ok without an air pump for 40 minutes. Don't fill your transport cooler more than half full, to leave room for enough air space for water oxygenation, and possibly leave your cooler lid open a crack for the move, and there shouldn't be a problem. Try to keep your fish, filter media, etc out of the sun during the move to avoid over-heating though.

Thanks!
I was wondering that about the lid. Would be all around easier if the container is not too full. And good point about the sun. Very hot summer here at the moment!

I would not worry about moving water ,or much of it.
I would if possible just test at the new house to see how different it is.
May not be much at all. You may want to bring some to help the fish acclimate to new water.
I would lightly rinse the gravel with old tank water so there is not so much crap all mixed up when you re fill.
You shouldn't need a battery pump..I ship fish that live DAYS in a sealed bag..

It's true that most of the bacteria is in the filter ... But my thoughts are that unless it's kept well enough oxygenated then it would all be dead anyways

I'm with bandit. I actually moved a little over a year ago. With me came a bunch of fish and 4 tanks. Some of the fish were dwarf cichlids and Cory's, pretty sensitive to parameters. I only moved a mile but.... luckily some one had brought this to my attention prior.. the new town was in a different water District and the parameters couldn't have been farther apart. I lids for 5 gallon buckets and brought about 40 gallons with me. Mixed half and half with the new water and let the fish sit in that for a week before slowly catching the new water in. Didn't lose a single fish. I eventually switched to ro water as the new water was very poor for aquarium use. Defintely worth looking into the new water source and being prepared for any adjustments needed. God speed masha:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tanks water should have beneficial bacteria in it ... I'm not an expert so I can't go into detail, but hopefully someone else will .... But basically the water in your tank right now, is fish friendly.... If you use all new water, then your tank will have to cycle all over again and probably kill off some of your fish until the bacteria builds back up ..... If I were you, I'd get maybe 1 or 2, 5 gallon buckets of tank water and put your fish in those when you move.... That way you have fish transportation and 50% of the original tank water
I've read that the bacteria actually lives in the filter media, gravel and walls of the tank. Something like surfaces! I think the tank water has very little bacteria.

There is no bacteria in the water, it resides in the filter. Moving a tank with water puts stress in a way that might break or crack the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is no bacteria in the water, it resides in the filter. Moving a tank with water puts stress in a way that might break or crack the tank

I'd definitely never move a tank with the water INSIDE it ! :)
I think the people who advised this mean that the water is moved in a separate container. But I also understood that it's not the bacteria that's necessarily the issue, so much as a possible abrupt change in water conditions.

I personally wouldn't worry about making a full water change if that's what worries you. My only concern would be keeping the temp and making sure there's no big or drastic change in water condition from one place to the other. Opinions vary when it comes to this.

Back
Top Bottom