Moving a pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, thanks to everyone's advice, I've decided to remove my pleco from my 32g and give him to my co-worker who has a 120g tank. A much better place for him in the long run and I'll switch to a smaller species.

So now the real question is...how the heck to get him inside a container I can take to work? I have heard placing a jar with some zucchuni would proably work and then just transfer him to the larger container.

How big is he? Larger plecs can be picked up to be moved (seen it done) :) You don't want to net them whether they're large or small, if you can avoid it, to prevent damage to their fins. If it's large enough you should be able to just use both hands :)

I have moved my 12" common plec a few times. I lower the water level as much as I can, then corral him in a plastic shoebox (into which he juuusssst fit last time I moved him.)

If you verrrry slowly move the box the fish will just sit there while you get it under him/her. Very, very slowly. Then put the top on. Set the box small end down in a 5-gallon bucket half full of water. Remove the lid (slooowwwwly) and take the box (slowwwly) outta the bucket.

It's worked for me each time, with no drama. I think trying to net the fish or pick it up ends almost always in a wet, thrashing, stressful mess. These fish are also very spiny and can give you a nasty scratch or hole if they fight you.

Good luck, and good for you finding your fish an appropriate home. I love the commons, but wish they would stop selling them to everybody. Not everyone is as responsible as you are. Well done!

I have a 6" leopard sailfin, I don't think the previous tank owner realized it's ultimate size. He's pretty skittish, I don't think I could grab him even if I wanted to, lol. I'll try and coax him into a container with some yummy veggies before I resort to trying that.

If the veggies don't work, I usually have success just guiding the pleco into the container with my hand (without grabbing him). Your way is the best, least stressful method, but if it doesn't work then this way is at least less stressful for the pleco than netting him. Good luck!

img_717705_0_5b592d789a1a95be819b63295fd907ba.jpg

Could be my friend is just lucky enough to have one that really enjoys hand feeding, a good stroke, and being picked up :)

Honestly, if you do try to pick it up there shouldn't be a problem. For starters plecs have a modified gut which enables them to breathe in a gulp of our own air so they can survive out of water for a wee while longer than most fish. On top of that, they also seem to go rigid when they're moved out of the water. If you ensure you hold him low down to the floor (preferably with a bucket or box underneath in case he does decide to move) then any accident would not be extreme but honestly I've seen a gibby (now larger than in this pic) moved just fine :)

Good luck!

Yep, I think that is just luck! :p My gibby would have a completely different reaction! :lol:

I just picked mine up when I placed in the bag for the other people to taake home. He was about 9-10 inches. Took a little time to catch him, but eventually trapped him in my hand and gently removed him and sliped him into a large fish bag that they brought to transport him. Was quite fun actually, and talk about armor, lol.

Thanks to all for the advice, moved him this morning into his new home. A nice 120g tank. Sad to see him go, but he'll be better off there.

I placed a container in the tank with a piece of zucchini in it, but he wasn't interested whatsoever, lol. Ends up I used a large ziploc bag and sort of trapped him into it and quickly lifted into another container for the road trip. Already looking at getting a BN to replace him.

Sorry you had to part with him, Was a very good and responsible move though, having to part with a fish after you have had him that long. There are many other beautiful looking plecos though that will fit in most tank sizes. MY favs are Bristlenose and Gold Nuggets.

My Bristlenose is out an about all times of the day, so I am always seeing him. I really like that...then again, my tank is dark enough that all my noctunral fish, except my two raphaels, are always out an about. Raphaels dont come out except in pitch blackness.

Back
Top Bottom