Moving a tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnicole516

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, so in a few months I will be moving to a new apartment and am wondering if I will need to recycle my tank? What is the best way to do this without causing stress on my fish?

Welcome to AA!!!

No worries and no need to recycle your tank. When you are ready for the move, pack up your filter media in plastic bags or buckets of tank water for transfer. Depending on how far your drive is, your fish can packed in buckets or alternately fish bags placed in buckets or a big cooler with a lid. If it will be lengthy drive, a battery powered aerator can be used. Empty the tank completely of water and place any filter housings, etc in it for transport. When you arrive, set up the tank, fill it with temperature matched properly conditioned water and acclimate your fish. I would suggest (if possible) testing the tap water of where you will be moving to in advance so you are aware of the new parameters.

You can also find lots of additional great moving tips if you use your 'search' button feature at the of the page. Please ask any questions! :)

Test destination tap KH. If it's the same than original tap, then you don't need to carry all the water.

Just make sure when you transfer fishs, they are in the same temperature/ph/kh, and no stress will happen.

Bring the filters bio media in a sealed bag, so they stay wet with tank water and BB don't die.

Back
Top Bottom