Moving a tank for the first time - Paranoid about leaks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vaala

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am moving my 80g Marineland glass tank for the first time. It's 5 years old, perfectly level and never been empty. The silicone seals look good with the exception of some minor abrasions on the sides due to cleaning the glass. (too much natural light, had some algea problems) Have never had any signs of leaking.

I live in a condo and am very paranoid about leaks. We have just installed new engineered hardwood floors in our new place but more so, worried about a disaster damaging the units below.

To anyone with moving experience--would you recommend getting a new tank? The plan would be 5-7 years in the new place. I am so nervous about water damage and would rather be safe than sorry.

Would appreciate the community's opinion on the matter.

Thanks,

-Val

Oh, to complicate matters further--we have an Xbox Kinect so there is fair amount of movement--floor support is concrete slab 8". Tank is within 6 feet of that movement. I feel like I'm playing with fire here.

Hi, I am moving my 80g Marineland glass tank for the first time. It's 5 years old, perfectly level and never been empty. The silicone seals look good with the exception of some minor abrasions on the sides due to cleaning the glass. (too much natural light, had some algea problems) Have never had any signs of leaking.

I live in a condo and am very paranoid about leaks. We have just installed new engineered hardwood floors in our new place but more so, worried about a disaster damaging the units below.

To anyone with moving experience--would you recommend getting a new tank? The plan would be 5-7 years in the new place. I am so nervous about water damage and would rather be safe than sorry.

Would appreciate the community's opinion on the matter.

Thanks,

-Val

Oh, to complicate matters further--we have an Xbox Kinect so there is fair amount of movement--floor support is concrete slab 8". Tank is within 6 feet of that movement. I feel like I'm playing with fire here.

Hi!

Ok, so if I get this right, you're moving from one house to another? Or are you just moving the tank to a different location in your house?

Either way, as long as you have a stand engineered to hold that kind of weight, it should be fine in your condo. I would just try to keep it on the opposite side of the room from the xbox. For transporting purposes, I would drain your tank, making sure to put your fish and some of their water into either plastic totes or buckets . Is it a rather short drive? You want to try and cause the least amount of stress.

Also, put your gravel in a tote or bucket making sure it stays wet. Also keep your filter media submerged in water, as it could dry out and kill your bacteria, causing you to cycle all over again. Same with the gravel.

When you get to your new place, just re acclimate your fish to the tank temperature and you should be fine. As long as you keep your filter media and gravel, the worst you might have is a mini cycle.

:] (Anyone feel free to correct me if you disagree. It's a learning experience for everyone.)

Hi!

Ok, so if I get this right, you're moving from one house to another? Or are you just moving the tank to a different location in your house?

Either way, as long as you have a stand engineered to hold that kind of weight, it should be fine in your condo. I would just try to keep it on the opposite side of the room from the xbox. For transporting purposes, I would drain your tank, making sure to put your fish and some of their water into either plastic totes or buckets . Is it a rather short drive? You want to try and cause the least amount of stress.

Also, put your gravel in a tote or bucket making sure it stays wet. Also keep your filter media submerged in water, as it could dry out and kill your bacteria, causing you to cycle all over again. Same with the gravel.

When you get to your new place, just re acclimate your fish to the tank temperature and you should be fine. As long as you keep your filter media and gravel, the worst you might have is a mini cycle.

:] (Anyone feel free to correct me if you disagree. It's a learning experience for everyone.)

It's a short move, 5th floor to 7th floor! Stand is a store bought stand made out of pine. It was purchased from Big Al's with the tank. vertical pine planks provide support. I'm sure its strong enough. Really don't have an option on floor layout, but its been ok so far... I just want to be able to sleep at night not worrying about it, need more positive reinforcement!

Hi Val,

Been there, done that.

You don't need to buy another tank! Make sure the silicone is in good condition and monitor for leaks the first week or so. If no leaks, then you're good to go. Make sure the tank sits next to a load-bearing wall and on the cross beams. Have faith in the stand; they're made to support the weight, and then some. By the way, pine wood is tough as nails. You can use styrofoam in between the tank and stand if there will be a lot of vibration. You can paint it black so it blends in.

Is your stand the 4-legged type or a flat base? A solid flat base is better so it can distribute the weight across the floor beams.

David

Hi yes been there done that and then some:D
first off the tank will be OK(y) I am guessing that all things like where the tank will goes is OK to support the weight? It should be(y)
Right now grab a cup of tea :D
No 1 - make sure you got plenty of empty buckets or containers to hold the tank water,also plenty of nets and towels.
No 2 - Do not feed fish on the day of the move.
No 3 - Right now what to do:)

No -1 Turn off electrics
No 2 - drain about a third of the water into the buckets
No 3 - Remove internal filters and place in a bucket with some water/External filters can also be removed at this stage but leave the water inside and make sure water cannot escape.
No 4 - remove all the decor and place in a bucket {see I told you you would need plenty of buckets:)}
No -5 remove any plants and also place in a bucket with some water to help keep them damp.
No 6 - remove the heater
Have a five minute break and have a cup of tea:)
No 7 - now time to catch the fish and place in yet more buckets - try and keep schooling fish together and any kinds of catfish ideally should be kept separate,or in their individual groups.
No 8 - once all the fish are removed,now try and save at least fifty% of the remaining water making a total of 75% water saved.
No 9 - remove the substrate into a bucket and also keep moist
No 10 - now time to move the now empty tank and remember to always place on something soft such as spare towels
Now when in its new place just do everything in reverse:)
No 1 - make sure you are happy with new location and its level
No 2 - replace the substrate
No 3 - now put in the decor taking time to make sure you are happy with how it looks
No 4 - replace some water {about a third}
No 5 - replace the filters - but do not turn on yet!
No 6 - replace any plants
No 7 - add more water - enough to get the filters started and switch on the filters and make sure they are all working.
No 8 - Add the heater and switch on
No 9 - add the fish - you really don't need to acclimatise them.
No 10 - top up and admire your handy work(y)
Good luck - just remember do not rush take your time and all will be well:)

Hi Val,

Been there, done that.

You don't need to buy another tank! Make sure the silicone is in good condition and monitor for leaks the first week or so. If no leaks, then you're good to go. Make sure the tank sits next to a load-bearing wall and on the cross beams. Have faith in the stand; they're made to support the weight, and then some. By the way, pine wood is tough as nails. You can use styrofoam in between the tank and stand if there will be a lot of vibration. You can paint it black so it blends in.

Is your stand the 4-legged type or a flat base? A solid flat base is better so it can distribute the weight across the floor beams.

David

It's a concrete slab floor. From what I read for 8" flooring load is 190lbs per square foot. Not too concerned about load as I've had it in basically the same posistion just 2 floors below. The stand is the store bought pine stuff, weight distribution is on the 4 corners.

I like the styrofoam idea, I may use floor underpadding to somewhat acheive the same effect.

Hi yes been there done that and then some:D
first off the tank will be OK(y) I am guessing that all things like where the tank will goes is OK to support the weight? It should be(y)
Right now grab a cup of tea :D
No 1 - make sure you got plenty of empty buckets or containers to hold the tank water,also plenty of nets and towels.
No 2 - Do not feed fish on the day of the move.
No 3 - Right now what to do:)

No -1 Turn off electrics
No 2 - drain about a third of the water into the buckets
No 3 - Remove internal filters and place in a bucket with some water/External filters can also be removed at this stage but leave the water inside and make sure water cannot escape.
No 4 - remove all the decor and place in a bucket {see I told you you would need plenty of buckets:)}
No -5 remove any plants and also place in a bucket with some water to help keep them damp.
No 6 - remove the heater
Have a five minute break and have a cup of tea:)
No 7 - now time to catch the fish and place in yet more buckets - try and keep schooling fish together and any kinds of catfish ideally should be kept separate,or in their individual groups.
No 8 - once all the fish are removed,now try and save at least fifty% of the remaining water making a total of 75% water saved.
No 9 - remove the substrate into a bucket and also keep moist
No 10 - now time to move the now empty tank and remember to always place on something soft such as spare towels
Now when in its new place just do everything in reverse:)
No 1 - make sure you are happy with new location and its level
No 2 - replace the substrate
No 3 - now put in the decor taking time to make sure you are happy with how it looks
No 4 - replace some water {about a third}
No 5 - replace the filters - but do not turn on yet!
No 6 - replace any plants
No 7 - add more water - enough to get the filters started and switch on the filters and make sure they are all working.
No 8 - Add the heater and switch on
No 9 - add the fish - you really don't need to acclimatise them.
No 10 - top up and admire your handy work(y)
Good luck - just remember do not rush take your time and all will be well:)

Thanks for the tips :) Guess I'm just being paranoid. Not exactly looking forward to the process, but have allocated a full day for tank alone so shouldn't be too rushed.

Is there a reason to use buckets vs bags for moving? We will be making a move to a house about 30 min away and have 3 tanks worth of fish to move, one of which is a cichlid move.

Back
Top Bottom